News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Paint removal recommendations.

Started by Greg G., August 31, 2011, 05:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I wasn't happy with the black marker "touch-up" on my SC 1216 base, so I tried to remove the paint and do it right.  Experience taught me that CLR will remove old phone paint.  Well, not all old phones have the same paint apparently, because a soak in CLR did nothing.  So I tried Strypeeze paint remover.  Supposedly it works in only 15 minutes, but I did two applications and left them both on for at least an hour and then scrubbed with a green scour pad, and it didn't do much better than the CLR, except on paint that was already loose.

Next step...?  A better paint remover, or sanding?  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

ESalter

I always use a product called Aircraft Stripper.  It's always done very well.  I'd give that a shot.

old_stuff_hound

If the paint so hard to remove, why not leave it? Seems like it would make a great basecoat/primer for new paint -- adhesion of the basecoat won't be a problem! ;-) You'd have to do a little filling or feather-edging of the chips of course....

Greg G.

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on August 31, 2011, 07:12:08 PM
If the paint so hard to remove, why not leave it? Seems like it would make a great basecoat/primer for new paint -- adhesion of the basecoat won't be a problem! ;-) You'd have to do a little filling or feather-edging of the chips of course....

That was actually a question in the back of my mind, is it ok to just paint over it with decent results.  I have some primer and semi-gloss black rattle-cans on hand.  I'm not averse to sanding at least part of it (the button area mostly), since I have a detail sander.  Only question would be what type of sandpaper would I use.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: Brinybay on August 31, 2011, 07:17:52 PM
Quote from: old_stuff_hound on August 31, 2011, 07:12:08 PM

That was actually a question in the back of my mind, is it ok to just paint over it with decent results.  I have some primer and semi-gloss black rattle-cans on hand.  I'm not averse to sanding at least part of it (the button area mostly), since I have a detail sander.  Only question would be what type of sandpaper would I use.

I'd be tempted to treat just like an automotive finish -- use standard wet-or-dry in increasing fineness. You want some tooth for the primer to adhere to so probably 600 or so before the primer, then a little finer before the topcoat. Mind you, I've only ever painted cars, not phones, so take my advice for what you paid for it. ;-)

Greg G.

I tried my hand at painting the base.  The base is metal, but the upper part is bakelite.  I used a detail sander with 400 grit to remove the paint, but I didn't remove all of it, mostly where it was already flaking off, such as the area around the buttons which came completely off and some other areas around the base.  In the areas where it was still clinging on for dear life, I sanded it but not to the point of removing it.  I could have sanded the primer, but I didn't get that ambitious.  Looks much better, I'm happy with it.  Still would like to get it functioning as a single line phone if I ever find out how to hook up a line cord to it.
- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

It turned out nice, good job. I have the same model phone that has the same paint problem on the lower unit. Did you use a flat paint or something else? I'll have to look at mine again to see what is under the hood to wire it for single line use.
Doug Pav

Greg G.

Quote from: Wallphone on September 13, 2011, 06:27:01 AM
It turned out nice, good job. I have the same model phone that has the same paint problem on the lower unit. Did you use a flat paint or something else? I'll have to look at mine again to see what is under the hood to wire it for single line use.
Doug Pav

I used Rustoleum primer and semi-gloss black, then polished with Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant.  I painted the non-black buttons with acrylic modeling paint.
- Mike Row
e