News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 C\D Will Not Ring

Started by hohjoe, August 06, 2011, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hohjoe

Hello. I'm new here and I have a problem with a WE500 phone that won't ring, which seems to be a classic problem. I have spent the last hour and a half or so reading the forum about ringing issues.
I have a WE 500 C/D that my Dad gave me. The wall cord on the phone was cut leaving a small piece of cord. I wired another wall cord like the old cord matching the red – green – black – yellow wires. The phone works for dialing and receiving calls, but will not ring. If I wire the phone like this picture I found here.

http://www.porticus.org/bell/images/500ringerrewiring.jpg ( dead link 05-02-21 )
I don't get a dial tone.

My phone is wired like this, which from what I read here is incorrect, yet it works with the exception of the ring. I have moved the black wire from the ringer to where the green wire is, but that doesn't work either. Any suggestions?

Dennis Markham

Welcome Joe.....

To begin with, remove the black and yellow mounting cord wires.  Tape them off (as Kenny suggested) to keep them from shorting against other metal.  The green mounting (line cord) cord wire should be attached to terminal L1, along with the black ringer wire.  It looks like you have the green currently on terminal "F".  (Note the diagram on the side of the network block).

Terminal "F" should have two wires, one of them coming from the switch hook and another (Blue wire) from your dial.  I don't see the blue dial wire.

Check to make sure you have four wires coming from your dial mechanism.  Two white (or slate), one blue and one green.

Green (from dial) goes to "RR", Blue to "F", one white to "R" and one to "GN".  

Work on those changes and we'll go from there.

hohjoe

Dennis,

Thanks for the reply.

I re-wired the phone the way you suggested. The wire on F is a blue wire from the dial. It doesn't look blue at the connection point, but it is at the dial.

The phone now rings, however I don't have a dial tone or if I left the handset when the phone rings it continues to ring. I guess the problem is the missing wire on F that you said comes from the switch hook. Do you have any what the color of the wire is? There aren't any loose wires.

Dennis Markham

Joe, look at the "G" terminal where your yellow line cord wire is attached (in your photo).  Now that I look closely at it there appears to be a wire connected to that terminal---the screw toward the dial end of the phone. There should be no wire there.  Connect that wire to the "F" terminal with the blue dial wire.

The colors change over the years because of fading, etc.  The wiring diagram for the Model 500 says that wire should be "slate and red".  I'm not sure about that but I'll bet the wire currently on the G terminal is the one you want on "F".

Your wire actually looks brown and white, or slate.  

hohjoe

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 06, 2011, 08:42:01 PM
Joe, look at the "G" terminal where your yellow line cord wire is attached (in your photo).  Now that I look closely at it there appears to be a wire connected to that terminal---the screw toward the dial end of the phone. There should be no wire there.  Connect that wire to the "F" terminal with the blue dial wire.

The colors change over the years because of fading, etc.  The wiring diagram for the Model 500 says that wire should be "slate and red".  I'm not sure about that but I'll bet the wire currently on the G terminal is the one you want on "F".

Your wire actually looks brown and white, or slate.  

Dennis,

Good catch! That was the problem. The phone now works the way it should.

Thanks!

Dennis Markham

Quote from: hohjoe on August 07, 2011, 10:04:17 AM
The phone now works the way it should. Thanks!

Life is good.  They all work...once they're wired properly.