News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Aqua Blue '58 WE500

Started by Pourme, September 08, 2017, 04:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

As I continue, 1000 grit sanding done. Disassembled the finger wheel & number dial. The number dial is a little faded and has some smudges, I assume i can sand it lightly since the numbers are embedded into the dial from the back? I have never had the need to do so before. 
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

david@london

yes, perfectly ok to sand the numbers bezel as the numbers go right through as you say.
watched the video benny.......don't have any experience of doing the denatured alcohol test but as far as i have always heard, there weren't any ABS 500 parts in may '58 so based on that i'd say yours must be tenite.

best of luck on yr project......whatever the answer to these technical questions, your phone's going to look great!

WEBellSystemChristian

Benny:

I posted this today in the forum's plastic sanding section. You may want to look into it for this phone, at least for the handset caps:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18850
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

Thanks Christian but you can see in the video I posted earlier, the case is ABS & denatured alcohol has no effect on it.

I spent the day sanding on this phone. Pictures to follow!
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on September 10, 2017, 07:15:33 PM
Thanks Christian but you can see in the video I posted earlier, the case is ABS & denatured alcohol has no effect on it.

I spent the day sanding on this phone. Pictures to follow!

Try a mixture of 25% acetone and 75% denatured alcohol. 1 measure of the acetone and 3 measures of the denatured alcohol (e.g. 1 ounce acetone and 3 ounces of denatured alcohol).

Pourme

I'm going to name this phone Irma, as I spent all day watching Irma coverage as I worked on this phone.

I started with 600 grit because of some scratches and fairly deep gouges. I went to 800, 1000, 1500 and finished with 2,000 grit. After that I used Novis 3 and finally Novis 2. With the Novis I used my hand buffer. I sanded the dial as well. I polished the gongs and used my Dremel to brush up the screws under the hood. I used SSS on the leather pads.

Benny

Pourme

I soaked both cords in a Oxi Clean mixture and dressed them out with Armorall. The curly cord spent some time on a wooden dowel and I heated it up with a hair drier.

The crack was a semi success. I could have done better but I saved it for last and got fatigued in the end. I used acetone to melt plastic carved from under the bottom side of the case. After sanding the repair I realized I needed more material to fill in more. That is where I was tired and stopped.  I can always have another go at it one day. It's good for now.
Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Pourme on September 10, 2017, 07:29:34 PM
I'm going to name this phone Irma, as I spent all day watching Irma coverage as I worked on this phone.

Huh, usually I watch old TV shows on Netflix when I restore mine... :)

Looks great so far! That crack filled in nicely!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

Finally after assembly I'm pleased with the look of the phone! It looks real nice, my 1st Aqua Blue 500.

It looks and sounds good!

PS. last picture is just for kicks....It's how it looks under my LED lights...odd
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: TelePlay on September 10, 2017, 07:28:35 PM
Try a mixture of 25% acetone and 75% denatured alcohol. 1 measure of the acetone and 3 measures of the denatured alcohol (e.g. 1 ounce acetone and 3 ounces of denatured alcohol).

John,

I probably would have tried that if I hadn't already finished it when I read your suggestion!...

Next time!
Benny