News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 42A block mounting plate

Started by Babybearjs, August 24, 2019, 03:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

enclosed is a photo from Ebay showing a standard part with a not so standard accessory. when did they offer these? I never knew they had a mounting plate for a 42A wiring block! when was this offered? I would have loved to have these around 30+ years ago! crazy thing you find in the world!
John

Russ Kirk

I was a PBX installer in the early 1980's. They were in use at that time and available in the supply room. I might have a few still. The adhesive backing dried out after time.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Key2871

Those were used by installers who needed a 42A block, but holes were not allowed by the property owner, or used on a modified phone, such in my brothers case. He wanted to connect an answering machine to one line of the 551B they put in. The installer put one of those blocks on the back of a 565 set and used a modular cover 625? For a plug in point.
Those were super sticky, and stuck to just about anything.
KEN

Babybearjs

so the metal plate had double sided tape on it.. interesting. too bad I've never seen that before. all of the 42A boxes I've ever install always used screws. never knew WE had an accessory for it... too bad they weren't included with the block. it would have made things easier back in the day! I used to be able to get 42A-6 blocks through Quement Electronics back in the 80's... 6 terminal blocks.  they were made by Suttle. where has the time gone......
John

Key2871

Well as I said. Those were handy if you couldn't use wood screws to mount the 42A, just peel and stick. And boy did those stick...
On masonry, be it walls brick what ever, you didnt have to have a special bit, it left no holes and the mounting screws were right on it already.
KEN

Babybearjs

thanks! its always fun to find something new!
John

andre_janew

I've seen the 42A wiring blocks with a metal cover, a plastic cover, and a plastic cover with a built in modular jack.