News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 565 help

Started by Devansphones, July 02, 2020, 09:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devansphones

Hey all! Just a quick question. I'm expanding my mind into the world of multiline sets to fulfill my inner fantasy of feeling like a 20th century business man. I purchased this ITT 565 on Ebay today, and wanted to make sure I've got this right. I was scouring older forum posts for some guidance and came upon a thread with a link to these amp to modular "harmonicas" from sandman.com. Am I correct in my understanding that this device will convert this telephone for modular use on a single line (or more if I add them) without me having to rewire the telephone and remove the cable? I'm new to all of this and completely clueless so any help is appreciated. I also read in an old forum post that I could wire up a 8-10V ac power supply to get a line light to work when pressed and when off hook? I'm so confused but SO ready. Help me, gentlemen.
~Devan

Babybearjs

that will get you a dial tone, but thats all.... you'll need to rewire the phone in order to get the lights to work....if you put 12 Volts across any of the Lamp Leads and ground, you'll get a light... in order for the lights to work right you have to rewire the phone and that involves terminals N, 1B, the H Leads and the L leads.... if you want more details, just ask...
John

Devansphones

Well I'm glad to know I'm on the right track. I'll purchase one of the amp to modular connectors now and I'll get with you for more details on the rewiring for the light when the phone gets here. I really appreciate it.
~Devan

Devansphones

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 02, 2020, 10:22:52 PM
that will get you a dial tone, but thats all.... you'll need to rewire the phone in order to get the lights to work....if you put 12 Volts across any of the Lamp Leads and ground, you'll get a light... in order for the lights to work right you have to rewire the phone and that involves terminals N, 1B, the H Leads and the L leads.... if you want more details, just ask...

I'm also assuming that if I purchase the single 2 pair adapter since I'm only doing one line for now that I'll still have to depress the key for line 1 to get dial tone, correct?
~Devan

compubit

It all depends on how the connectors are wired.

Some of the connectors with multiple RJ45 jacks are really intended for using Cat-5/cat-6 wiring as opposed to 25 pair between junction points - a 6 jack connector would provide 24 pair/48 wires, but i'm not sure which pair is being left out...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

allnumbedup

I too recently got a bunch of help from forum members on this topic but took a different route and rewired:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23706.msg236940#msg236940

I used Princess line cord with five wires, line cord from a two line phone with four wires, and a 1970's data cord with six.  also, I have found 5-10 V is enough to light up the phone's 51A bulbs and maybe extend bulb life.. this is convenient because many chargers  made for cell phones are 5.9V and many 1990's home phone base  power supplies are 9V. There is probably a bin of these at your local Goodwill.  I have also replaced my 564 lamps with bulbs rated for 20V and used a 17 V AC power supply from an intercom to power both these bulbs and a buzzer that one of my sets had one in place.
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Devansphones

Thanks so much. I'm already overwhelmed! Lol.
~Devan

Babybearjs

I replied to the privious thread about the 565 conversion. I was doing this back in the 1980's before anyone even collected these phones....
John

paul-f

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 03, 2020, 01:26:28 PM
I was doing this back in the 1980's before anyone even collected these phones....

Actually, many of us were collecting them long before 1980. Some even had SxS and XBAR switches and 1A1 or 1A2 to power them.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Babybearjs

yeh, I guess so.... since the majority was working for ma bell! I started out with a AE 86A phone and learned from there....
John

Devansphones

I'm so grateful to have help from everybody on here, you're all the best resource around.
~Devan

Babybearjs

Devan, you are more then welcome! I hope the pictures help.
John

Key2871

Devan this is a great place to get information on any telephone questions.
I found that 10 volts or even 9 volts was a good voltage for lighting the lights to a good brightness.
At one point I even replaced the hook switch pileup with one's from AC3 trimlines bases. They used similar hook switches. That way I could switch tip and ring, and have an extra for the light.
It was quite a job, so I don't recamend it.
But you don't need to switch both side on the phone line. But obviously if you have more questions, come back. There's plenty here to help you out.
KEN