News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 466AC Another that just Doesn't......

Started by RDPipes, February 15, 2023, 11:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Recently I seen a WE466AC and it doesn't look as I thought it should. The ringer has been replaced with a large Buzzer? and a lot of contacts on the terminal board plus wiring are missing and all the lamps are not wired in. Not to mention some brain child used masking tape to tape off a couple of switch hook wires and of course the large multi wire line cord has been replace with about a 16 wire cord.
Anyone got any answers to why this is this way?

G-Man

Quote from: RDPipes on February 15, 2023, 11:29:10 AMRecently I seen a WE466AC and it doesn't look as I thought it should. The ringer has been replaced with a large Buzzer? and a lot of contacts on the terminal board plus wiring are missing and all the lamps are not wired in. Not to mention some brain child used masking tape to tape off a couple of switch hook wires and of course the large multi wire line cord has been replace with about a 16 wire cord.
Anyone got any answers to why this is this way?
The 466AC was intended for use with a 755A PBX so the buzzer may have been for intercom signaling.

If I counted correctly, it has about a 20-conductor line-cord.

It's difficult (for me at least) to see how all of the line-cord leads are terminated but the wiring seems to have been changed somewhat and are improperly dressed.

This, along with the masking tape, leads me to suspect that a prior owner may have changed some of it to use on an outside telephone line(s).

RDPipes

Quote from: G-Man on February 15, 2023, 12:09:44 PMThe 466AC was intended for use with a 755A PBX so the buzzer may have been for intercom signaling.

If I counted correctly, it has about a 20-conductor line-cord.

It's difficult (for me at least) to see how all of the line-cord leads are terminated but the wiring seems to have been changed somewhat and are improperly dressed.

This, along with the masking tape, leads me to suspect that a prior owner may have changed some of it to use on an outside telephone line(s).
Thank you sir, I kinda figured that, unskilled busy little fingers have no business inside phones.
If they'd only leave things alone that they don't know enough about I think there'd be more intact
phones out there instead of parts phones.

G-Man

Here is the wiring diagram.

For a fuller description you may also wish to check Paul Fassbender's excellent site.

RDPipes

This is what I was expecting to see, sadly this one is no where near it.

RDPipes

Quote from: G-Man on February 15, 2023, 12:25:52 PMHere is the wiring diagram.

For a fuller description you may also wish to check Paul Fassbender's excellent site.

Thank you sir but, I've already downloaded all the BSP's on the 466 I could find including this one but,
I do appreciate your help.

poplar1

Red and Green of the D15- cord (15-conductor) go to L1 and L2Y on the induction coil. This is for the common talk path. The keys (buttons) are used to signal the 755A PBX to connect a particular line to the common talk path.

The 466AC can be used as a single line phone, without hold or lamp function, by using the red and green of the mounting cord connected to L1 and L2Y.

The photo  from BSP Section C32.530 you provided is of a "typical" keyset, *not* a 466AC.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on February 15, 2023, 04:13:03 PMRed and Green of the D15- cord (15-conductor) go to L1 and L2Y on the induction coil. This is for the common talk path. The keys (buttons) are used to signal the 755A PBX to connect a particular line to the common talk path.

The 466AC can be used as a single line phone, without hold or lamp function, by using the red and green of the mounting cord connected to L1 and L2Y.

The photo  from BSP Section C32.530 you provided is of a "typical" keyset, *not* a 466AC.
So your saying the insides is correct for this model Dave?

poplar1

Quote from: RDPipes on February 15, 2023, 04:32:42 PMSo your saying the insides is correct for this model Dave?

I'm not sure about the buzzer or the rewiring by previous owner. But the "missing" terminal screws and the 6-conductor switchhook are correct. No photos of the baseplate (outside)?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on February 15, 2023, 04:57:32 PMI'm not sure about the buzzer or the rewiring by previous owner. But the "missing" terminal screws and the 6-conductor switchhook are correct. No photos of the baseplate (outside)?

All that is stamped on the base is 466AC-3 nothing else.

Doesn't matter anyway, he wants wayyyyy too much for it.