Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 29, 2014, 10:05:39 PM
Yes, this setup is nice, though its very basic. It adds value to the house so if I ever sell, the next person can enjoy my work. I had just won another 444 for my collection, when I tested it, only line 1 worked... found out that the screw heads on all three line switches has corroded off and that they couldn't be fixed easily. so, I went ahead and converted to phone over to a single line with hold... the catch is.... you have to hold down the hold key while you hang up the phone.... but it still works and that's what is important... single line or not....I'll have to update my photos of the system so everyone can see my work.... all I have to do to the system is get the buzzers in the rooms working.... all the stations are rotary dial except my desk... that has to be TT so I can retrieve my voice mail. I'm also going to be posting on Ebay this next year.... so be watching!
Cool, I'm in the business of setting up a 400 series phone with ICM (including buzzers) on my 1a2, do you think you could send me a diagram of your phone or explain what you had to do?

Thank you,
Ben

Babybearjs

Wow, that will take a bit of writing. but, yes I will.... this is the kind of system that is easy to put together and is custom. I purchase all my supplies from www.deepsurplus.com I was able to aquire 25 pair cable scraps at a great price this last summer. they don't off them right now, hopefully they will again soon. I wanted to color code my system, so I followed to basic color code found in the first 6 pairs of the 25 pair cable... it works great except they don't make BROWN jacks...only black, thus the substitution. I also matched the colors to the cabling coming off my KSU for simplicity reasons... (blue cord, blue jack, etc.) the big problem has been the outdoor splicing.... first I started with spade terminals and #44 Blocks on #168 backboards, it worked, but was time consuming. when I upgraded the wiring from Cat5 cabling to 25 pair Cat5 Cabling the system was easier to handle, but I introduced the #66 blocks in a outdoor setting and now I'm getting moisture problems at the connections. I'm going to try to spray the #66 with silicon spray and see if that helps, if not then probably go back to the #44 blocks.... mind you these connections are under a manufactured home and in a dry location, but exposed to the air and any insects that my wonder through... I have all the blocks on stand-offs so they aren't sitting directly on the ground and I have plastic covers on them so they won't get damaged. But, time and moisture have created a problem.... hopefully this spring, once everything dries out, I can fix this problem once and for all.... I think one of the problems is that I have the blocks loaded with jumpers on all the contacts and the spacing is so close that they may be bridging in certain areas....but the ICM and VOIP lines are clear so the problem is localized in the first 5 top pairs..... (lines 1 and 2) somewhere.... I learned not to leave key telephone sets outside in the rain! the water shorts the control circuit and the line light stays on until you unplug the set.... this project has been trial and error.... but FUN! this is the real first time I've wired a telephone system on this scale....
stay tuned..... there more to come!
John