News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phew! I'm Relieved

Started by Ed Morris, November 16, 2017, 07:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

I finally had to call Verizon due to so much noise on our copper line that it was impossible to have a phone conversation.  I was promptly told that my line would be replaced with a fiber optic line.

Fearing the worst, I searched for FIOS on CRPF and found that the fiber optic wasn't the end of the world!  So today, Verizon removed my old NIB and installed a ONT, power supply, and gave me a backup battery holder and a dozen D cells.

I'm happy to report the only problem was finding the the buried vault in the woods that serves my house.  It was buried under about a foot of leaves and dirt.  They had to call someone with a locater to find it.  After that, it all went well.  All my rotary phones ring and dial out!

The techs who came out got a kick out of all my old phones, and they even tried to find a key to open the upper housing on my payphone.  No luck, though.

Ed

AE_Collector

You should have told them that you have your own battery backup and hauled out a glass battery jar!

The backup units they use here have 12 volt gel cells like alarm backup batteries. Haven't heard of one that uses a pile of D cells as they wouldn't be rechargeable would they? Is it your job to replace them if needed?

Terry

Ed Morris

I suspect it's my responsibility to replace the D cells.  The tech said that the original backup batteries, that look like a lead acid type, only lasted about 8 hours before needing a recharge.  He said the D cells are good for about 36 hours.  We are fortunate to live in an area that seldom looses power, and when we do, it is usually back on in a few hours.
Ed

kb3pxr

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 16, 2017, 09:13:09 PM
You should have told them that you have your own battery backup and hauled out a glass battery jar!

The backup units they use here have 12 volt gel cells like alarm backup batteries. Haven't heard of one that uses a pile of D cells as they wouldn't be rechargeable would they? Is it your job to replace them if needed?

Terry

Quote from: Ed Morris on November 16, 2017, 10:57:33 PM
I suspect it's my responsibility to replace the D cells.  The tech said that the original backup batteries, that look like a lead acid type, only lasted about 8 hours before needing a recharge.  He said the D cells are good for about 36 hours.  We are fortunate to live in an area that seldom looses power, and when we do, it is usually back on in a few hours.

Verizon used a traditional battery backup solution in the past and serviced them, however, battery backup servicing is now the customer's responsibility. The D-Cell solution they use is easy to have the customer service. Personally, however I have a APC 700VA UPS on my network and VoIP equipment since I have a not so common setup.

compubit

When they installed my FiOS setup a month ago, there were no batteries or UPS capability at all.  I was on my own, if I wanted it.

In our area, they installed ONT inside the house, mostly because I live in a Historic District, and the HOA is a stickler for what can and can not be attached to the building facade...

I was impressed with my installer - he drilled the hole for the fiber perfectly that the ONT sits flush along the top edge of the baseboard (the ONT is in the corner of the dining room), but also left enough fiber so that I can relocate it to the basement (directly underneath where it comes in) when I have some work done (and they bring the drywall down...).  He also left a 20' power cable (he installed a 10' cable...).

My only complaint about going to FiOS is the never ending calls from Comcast wanting me back...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!