"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Will you repair my phone?"

Started by paul-f, August 18, 2014, 07:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Here's one I just had to answer, "No!"

It looks like it was stored under water.  The housing shrunk around some of the components and was cracked through in several spots.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

Was that phone washed into the sea by the tsunami in Japan?   It looks like something that might have washed ashore in Oregon.

Larry

TelePlay

Some time ago, twocvbloke posted a comment in another topic long since lost from my memory in which he said he thought he would like to take on a phone restoration project starting with a phone in this kind of condition. How about it, twocv? Remember?

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on August 18, 2014, 09:10:43 PMHow about it, twocv? Remember?

Not of the top of my head, but then I have had a few beers so my memory is selective at the moment... ;D

Dan/Panther

WOW !!!
That came off the Titanic.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

That shell looks like it is plastic.  My Japanese #4 is bakelite, and I was under the impressions that all of the black ones were bakelite.  I don't think that bakelite will shrink and warp like that.

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 19, 2014, 12:08:14 PM
That shell looks like it is plastic.  My Japanese #4 is bakelite, and I was under the impressions that all of the black ones were bakelite.  I don't think that bakelite will shrink and warp like that.

Larry

I am sure it is a form of cellulose acetate. It loved to shrink and warp in heat, at least until they figured out how to make it more stable.
Indeed thermosets, like the phenols, Bakelite, etc, don't shrink much, not to the degree that it really matters.

Bakelite doesn't warp because it doesn't get soft when heated. The polymer chains are permanently interlinked and shaped in the initial chemical reaction.
Thermoplastics on the other hand are like glass, a frozen liquid (plastic) that softens and eventually flows like a viscous liquid when the temperature is high enough.

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 19, 2014, 12:01:21 PM
WOW !!!
That came off the Titanic.

D/P

I think you may have meant to say "that came from under the Titanic."  ;)