News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What I Learned Today

Started by Fabius, August 23, 2014, 07:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I learned that ITT (and maybe other makers) 500 shells fit WECO 500 bases. So be careful in buying that rare color WECO 500 set.

http://tinyurl.com/ld7xnhp

My concern with this auction is that though the seller states it is ITT plastics, the item title is a little misleading: "Brown Western Electric Bell System 500 Rotary Desk Telephone w/ITT Plastics". The word brown should be in front of ITT Plastics (Brown ITT Plastics).
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WesternElectricBen

Don't take this the wrong way, but as your 500 set knowledge increases, so does your puzzling together skills. Meaning, a early brown set would never come with the newer style finger-wheel, the smaller finger stop gap, or plastic feet. 

Regardless, I do agree, the whole listing is misleading. Also, another important lesson would be, don't trust what the seller says, trust what you see.

Ben

Dan/Panther

Until I was able to afford the real deal. I put the Brown ITT shell, onto the older WE base.
When I finally acquired the Brown WE, I put the ITT back together and sold it.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Slal

Didn't catch this one at first, but as a novice, glad I did.  Yet another detail to look for I guess.

Reproduction 2 HB fingerstops
Reproduction 2 AA fingerstops
Reproduction #2 dial number plates
Reproduction E series "spitcups"

And that might just be a partial list. ; )

From another topic, want to make sure I understand though.

Number ring for 7 series dial will have short slot while 9 series will have a longer one.  Correct or I have them backwards?

Original 7 series would've had open face fingerwheel & not later 'closed' variety. 

thx

--Bruce

Fabius

maybe some could post examples?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Slal

Quote from: Fabius on August 29, 2014, 08:07:18 PM
maybe some could post examples?

Hopefully this won't be considered butting in on your topic.  Is so, admin please delete.  Figure the only way to learn is post what I have in notes & accept correction where inaccurate.

If understand correctly:

7C:
  • More 'square' shaped opening for finger-stop support to go up through faceplate.
  • Appears to have two piece "open" face finger-wheel for number card.  Notch at 3 O'clock position

9C:
  • More narrow opening because finger-stop support doesn't go up through faceplate anymore.
  • One piece "closed" finger-wheel-- concentric molded rings around clear area for number-card & no 'notch' at 3 O'clock position.
_________
Edit:  Should cite sources...

www_vintagerotaryphones_com

www_paul-f_com

www_beatriceco_com/bti/porticus/bell/telephones.html

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AE_Collector

Quote from: Slal on August 30, 2014, 12:14:32 PM
Hopefully this won't be considered butting in on your topic.  Is so, admin please delete.

For the most part the "No Thread Hijacking" rule doesn't exist here on CRPF. All discussion is good and unless totally irrelevant to the topic, go ahead with questions and comments.

Terry