Previous topic - Next topic

What should I do with my 5302s?

Swap the housings
4 (50%)
Keep them as-is
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

AdamAnt316

Hello everyone. I have a dilemma which has been bugging me for some time now. I happen to own a pair of 5302s, both purchased at the same flea market. One of them has a standard 5302 outer housing, as well as a stamp on the bottom reading "5302G", but actually has the guts of a 5304 (L-shaped terminal strip, 101B induction coil, B2A ringer).

The other one has the innards of a standard 5302 (though the stamp on the bottom plate claims it to be a 5314, which, as far as I know, never existed), but the housing has a plugged-up hole in the front left corner for what I presume to have once been a line switch as seen on the 5410 (though I haven't seen any evidence of additional hardware ever having been present inside of it).

The thing I'm wondering is, should I swap the housings, or should I leave them as-is? It almost seems like some swapping-around was done in the past, but I can't be entirely sure. Anyway, thanks in advance.
-Adam

LarryInMichigan

Since neither of the shells are original to the phone (of course, no 5302 shell is), I would pair the shells and phones whichever way resulted in the best looking phone overall.  If I am going to keep a phone on my desk or a display shelf, I want it to look nice.

Larry

baldopeacock

I know the whereabouts of several NOS 5302 black shells, if there's a need.   All were wrapped but have a little shelf wear that would polish out with a little attention.   Far as I know they were never installed on a phone.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: baldopeacock on June 30, 2010, 06:14:42 PM
I know the whereabouts of several NOS 5302 black shells, if there's a need.   All were wrapped but have a little shelf wear that would polish out with a little attention.   Far as I know they were never installed on a phone.

I might be interested if the price is right.  One of my 5302s has an ugly shell.

Larry

AdamAnt316

Thanks for the replies thus far! Anyway, I have an update to this saga: after some detective work, I discovered that the "5314" may have been intended for use outside of the Bell System. Both the housing and handset lack any mention of Ma Bell, and the handset is an F1W (in addition, it has a snowflake-looking marking on the bottom, and all of the markings are in yellow ink). The "5302G", on the other hand, has Bell System markings on both the handset and housing. So these indeed may have been matched up from the factory, but that doesn't explain why the "5314" has the plugged hole in the corner.

Quote from: baldopeacock on June 30, 2010, 06:14:42 PM

I may indeed be interested in that. I just remembered that my "5302G" has a piece broken out of the bottom right corner of the case.  >:( As for the "5314", I might be interested in a NOS shell if it's missing the Bell System markings, but I have a feeling that finding one of those is gonna be near to impossible.  :(
-Adam

paul-f

Adam:  I believe your 5314 is similar to the 5310 discussed in this thread...
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2628.0

Model numbers other than those documented in the Bell System literature were probably stamped on by non-Bell refurbishers.  Most I've seen so far have been in yellow (see photo below), not a common color used within the Bell System.  I had the opportunity to talk with one such refurbisher last year...
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2506.msg34369#msg34369

Non-Bell refurbishers purchased components from Western Electric so they could convert 302s to 5302s.  They were provided housings and handsets that had no Bell System markings.

Like other Bell System model numbers, we would expect a 5300-series set sold outside the Bell System to have a standard model number with a W suffix.  (e.g. 5302GW or 5410ACW.)

NOS 5302 housings without Bell System markings have turned up at several phone shows over the last few years.  If you call a phone collector in your home town, I wouldn't be surprised if he can come up with one.   ;) ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

baldopeacock

re: the NOS 5302 shells that I mentioned, a couple of you have responded --

ETS79 has them and has had them for several years.   He had a couple of them out of the wrappers this weekend when I saw him.   I'll send him a link to this discussion and let him go from there with you.   I think there are about five of them in the bunch he's got if I recall correctly.

ETS1979

Yes I have four 5302 cases I would like to find a new home for.  Even though three of them appear to be NOS, I think they were not stored properly and have some blemishes, scuffs and scratches.  I do not see any cracks on any of them.  The fourth has a number ring and switchhook assembly included.  I would give them to any forum member that would like to have them.  I would ask $7.00 each or $15 for all to cover my shipping expenses.

elmwood

Old post, I know, but are you still selling these shells?  I came across a 5302 with a case that's pretty beat up.  I'm trying to restore it to the best of my ability, but I'm thinking it could be easier to just put a new case on it.