"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Elektronska Industrija ATA 71

Started by LM Ericsson, October 01, 2016, 04:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

Hi everybody,
I received this nice red phone from Croatia yesterday and I would like to share the photos. This is made by a company in present-day Serbia (formerly Yugoslavia) in the city of Niš (pronounced Neesh), called Elektronska Industrija. It has the exact layout as a FeTAp 61 yet the mouldings are their own (possibly borrowed under a license) and with their own markings. This phone was first produced in 1971 hence the model name ATA 71. This phone came with both an original plug and connector block, which I have decided to remove as it is unnecessary. The dial is of German style, but it is made by Elektronska Industrija, no German markings. The thing that is noticeably different with this phone compared with the FeTAp 61 is that the base is black and does not match the color of the rest of the phone. I believe the Bundespost produced a FeTAp 61 in red, but not for very long.
Regards,
-Grayson

HarrySmith

Cool Phone!
Is the last picture of the back of the dial?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LM Ericsson

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 01, 2016, 04:50:56 PM
Cool Phone!
Is the last picture of the back of the dial?
Yes, the last picture is the back of the dial with the dust cover on it.
Regards,
-Grayson

HarrySmith

WOW! From the outside the dial and fingerwheel both look pretty large, the back seems very small, unless that is a giant stapler next to it! Is that the way these are? I know nothing about these sets, just curious.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LM Ericsson

The stapler is a regular sized stapler. If you were to see the phone in person, it will be a regular sized dial front and back. Photos can be deceiving sometimes.
Regards,
-Grayson

HarrySmith

Yes, they can be deceiving, that's why I asked. Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jack Ryan

Siemens & Halske had been operating in Serbia since 1887 with the installation of power and lighting in Belgrade.

In 1921, ÖSSW and S&H Vienna founded Yugoslavian Siemens AG (JUSAG) with headquarters in Zagreb. In 1931, JUSAG commissioned the main telephone exchange in Belgrade with 11,000 subscriber lines.

Post WW2, joint S&H -  Yugoslavian operations ceased.

In 1959, Siemens & Halske entered into partnership with Elektronska Industrija with headquarters in Nis, Belgrade.

So it looks like: ITT Assistant → FeTAp 611 → ATA 71

Quote from: LM Ericsson on October 01, 2016, 04:24:08 PM
This phone came with both an original plug and connector block, which I have decided to remove as it is unnecessary.

I'm not sure exactly what that means but it would be nice to retain the original connection.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 01, 2016, 07:54:01 PM
Siemens & Halske had been operating in Serbia since 1887 with the installation of power and lighting in Belgrade.

In 1921, ÖSSW and S&H Vienna founded Yugoslavian Siemens AG (JUSAG) with headquarters in Zagreb. In 1931, JUSAG commissioned the main telephone exchange in Belgrade with 11,000 subscriber lines.

In 1959, Siemens & Halske entered into partnership with Elektronska Industrija with headquarters in Nis, Belgrade.

I'm not sure exactly what that means but it would be nice to retain the original connection.

Jack

Thanks for that review.   Right after WWII, Siemens also incubated the early ISKRA works near Ljubljana, and granted them manufacturing licenses for telephones. I think they may have converted an existing S&H factory that became defunct during the war.  Initially their phones were copies of S&H sets, such as the OB33.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on October 01, 2016, 08:13:10 PM
Right after WWII, Siemens also incubated the early ISKRA works near Ljubljana, and granted them manufacturing licenses for telephones. I think they may have converted an existing S&H factory that became defunct during the war.  Initially their phones were copies of S&H sets, such as the OB33.

Yes, technically (at the time) the same country (Yugoslavia) but in Slovenia rather than Serbia. I suppose the "states" were as competitive for these industries as any other country.

Jack

LM Ericsson

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 01, 2016, 07:54:01 PM

Jack

I removed the connector block and kept the plug. It looked like the last person to use this phone wired it themselves. I believe that the connector block is made of bakelite and metal.
Regards,
-Grayson

Matilo Telephones

Very nice find, Grayson. Yet another offspring of the Assistent.

The Bundespost did not have the FeTAp 61 in red, available to the general public. It was made as a Sonderfarbe on special order only. It is one of the rarer colours, like black. Black was in use by a coal company, who ordered their FeTAp 61 espacially in black.

Yellow is the rarest colour. Only a few were made and it is highly sought after.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones