News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

8A Princess Dials Ticking me off.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 06, 2010, 04:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I have 3 Princess phones back Logged, and I've decided to clean them up.
Well all are 701 A, or B, all have identical 8A dials, and all have the same irritating problem.
The Contact actuating arm is sticking on the shaft, and the dials stick. The dials work fine with the contact assembly removed, but as soon as I reconnect  the contacts, the arm sticks, and the dial stops turning. I've tried every way to clean and lube but nothing frees up the arm.. What's up with this ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

same problem with my princess. I was using it last night and this morning i dialed 8 and it would turn the zero finger hole would stop at the 8 all of the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7  work but 8,9,  and 0 get stuck at the 8 or 7 position. I know that it is not because it is cold because our house is fairly warm.  And I have turned it several times and it is still stuck. You can push it back to the correct position. Any ways thanks for starting this because I was about to start one
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 06, 2010, 04:30:51 PM
<snip>I've tried every way to clean and lube but nothing frees up the arm.. What's up with this ?
<snip>

Chances are you haven't tried "every way" yet.  It would be interesting to hear what you have tried.

If the dial is still sticking, you may have more gunk to remove.  I've had good luck with a few sprays of a commercial degreaser or contact cleaner followed by running the dial for about a minute.  Doing that before the spray evaporates gives the dirt a chance to flow out of the constricting passages.  If that doesn't free the dial up, a second application usually finishes the job -- unless, of course, there's obvious physical damage.

(Make sure any degreaser or contact cleaner you use is safe for plastics.  Some do a nice job of dissolving plastic!)

I have heard from a few collectors who have disassembled dials and ultrasonically cleaned the parts before reassembly.  I haven't had the need to do that yet.

Once it's turning properly, very light spot oiling is all that's required.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Paul;
I've tried all but the contact cleanser. Ironic, the only thing I didn't try to clean parts connected to contacts, was contact cleaner.... ::) ::)
After about 30 minutes of dialing it freed up. thanks Paul.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

You're welcome.

You must have had a tough case if it took that much dialing to move out the accumulated stuff.  Perhaps someone had "fixed" it using WD40 or some other lubricant that attracts dirt and solidifies.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line