News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 631A1Q1A Call Director - Fat Cord Anyone?

Started by AE_Collector, March 17, 2016, 08:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stubbypylon

Craig Stanowski

AE_Collector

Well that isn't anything like what we installed here. Who were you working for Craig? The early days for BIX I believe. About 1984 was when it took over from 66 blocks here.

We (BC Tel) only dabbled in this just a little and it was right near the end of 1A2, very early 80's. I guess that 1A2 remained the only option for BIG key systems (other than digital PBX's such as SL1) even once smaller electronic key was on the scene.

I recall the system that we used being open circuit boards that mounted two side by side on bars in 23" racks. I think thatbthere were three Amphenols on each board, likely two bringing lines in (from 10A2 {AE} panels) and one which I think ultimately headed straight to the modified NE Logic Keysets. Presumably then one board would support one 20 line phone. I also recall strapping between screw terminals on the baords and suspect this was how a phone could grow above 20 lines. Each additional board likely allowed another 20 line expansion unit to be put on the Logic phone. Presumably these expansion boards had two Amphenols to send the lines into the baord but either didn't have or didn't use the Amphenol that would have fed out to the Logic phone. This interface expansion was accomplished through the jumper straps between boards.

Now I wish I had grabbed those boards a few years ago when I saw them. Not the first time I have had thoughts like this!

1st:Logic 20 picture below.
2nd: A 20 line addon for an SL1 set, very similar to a Logic Busy Lamp Field.

Terry

Stubbypylon

Terry I was with CTG (Canadian Telecommunications Group) at that point in time and yes that was roughly when BIX started taking off.  We installed V-Band turrets, then the British Telecom City Business System at CTG.  When I moved to TTS that's when we installed TIE turrets, then Wyatt (Reuters) and Etrali.

I remember the open circuit boards mounted in racks in some of the phone rooms of sites we were displacing.

PBX's didn't offer traders much other than dial tone as they needed to directly access multiple ring-down circuits.  That's why they used a separate system with a PBX behind them.
Craig Stanowski