"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"How can I direct your call?"

Started by AdamAnt316, February 03, 2013, 04:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

Quote from: AdamAnt316 on February 05, 2013, 05:15:51 PM
Thanks for the insights, guys! So, I have to ask, is there a way to make this thing work without a key system? As cool as it'd be to rig up  a 1A1 or 1A2 in the house, I don't think I'd have much use for it besides making the Call Director work. Also, I have no idea how common these 235/236 station line concentrators might be. Once again, thanks!
-Adam
Actually, you CAN use your 634 as a single-line set without a key system.  Just as in other simpler phones that use 4010B networks (such as 702B Princess), T & R arrive at the network on terminals F and C after going through the hookswitch.  If you look in 502-634-401 at the schematic for the phone with 8C dial and 4010B network (figure 7B in 502-634-401 issue 7), these wires are designated TT and TR.  They exit the phone through the line cord and appear on pins 1 and 26 of the 50-contact male Amphenol connector.  If you plug that male Amphenol connector into the mating female connector on a 66E3 connecting block (66E3s occasionally turn up on eBay), you can then connect your phone line to the associated terminals for pins 1 and 26, and your 634 should work just like a single line phone.  Just lift the handset and you will have dial tone.  It should not matter which (if any) buttons on the 634 are pressed.  If you search the Forum's old posts, you will find multiple references to the 66E3 and how it works.

Dave

PS:  This analysis is based on my quick cursory examination of 502-634-401.  There might be some other small thing that needs to be done, but I don't think so.  If you get that far, then we can talk about how to get the ringer to work!

DF

Dave F

I just did a quick eBay search for 66e3, and there are several available right now.

DF

AE_Collector

And someone recently found what I call "Amp Adapters" that are Female to connect to the telephones set cord (rather than the much more common Male Connectors) and they have an RJ plug in the end of them to plug a mini-mini set cord into. That discussion is in the 1A2 area of the Switching Category as well I believe.

Here is the discussion:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8501.0

Terry

Dave F

I also have a green 634 Call Director, but I wasn't lucky enough to get it for just $5.00!  Here are pictures of the phone and also a 235B Line Concentrator KTU.  If I ever find the time to build a "new" 1A1 key system, these items will get installed in it.

DF

cello973

Dave F, if I remember correctly I have seen the call concentrator used at an answeing seevice and it was set up with a 1a2 system. so a simple shoe box should serve you rather than building. 1a1 (unless you really want a 1a1)
Vince

Dave F

Quote from: cello973 on March 03, 2013, 12:04:34 PM
Dave F, if I remember correctly I have seen the call concentrator used at an answeing seevice and it was set up with a 1a2 system. so a simple shoe box should serve you rather than building. 1a1 (unless you really want a 1a1)
Thanks for your message.  Yes, the 235B line concentrator can be used on a 1A2 system, assuming that you have a proper rack to mount it in.  I am specifically interested in building a 1A1 because I just love wirespring relays and the quality that went into that early hardware.  1A1 systems are much more labor-intensive to wire up than 1A2, but that's all part of the allure.  Also, 1A1 components are pretty tough to find these days, and to have enough to build a decent system is a real accomplishment.  I've got most of the necessary stuff packed away -- just need the time to play with it!

DF

AE_Collector

I agree Dave. When I manage to get back to my Telephone Workshop project I have a 19" rack to install that already has two AE 13 line 10A2 panels in it and out in my garage (somewhere under the junk) I have 2 pre built 5 line AE 10A1 sections that will fit nicely in the 19" rack. I call it a rack but we used to call them "Gates" as they floor mount against the wall and swing like a gate to get at the back of the equipment mounted in it as well.

I can't wait to hear the click clack of lines ringing in and on hold. I used to have three CO lines in my house but am back to just one now. Too bad!

Terry

Dave F

Terry,

I wish I had pictures of the 1A1 key system I installed in my parents' house back in ~1965.  I guess the desire to relive the memories of the past is a big factor in still wanting to do things like this now.  A while back, there was a Forum topic on the old days of phone collecting.  You can read my recollections here.

DF

AE_Collector

I remember reading that one the first time around but that didn't deter me from reading it all again!

As a kid I remeber yanking an AE 50 out of an abandoned house and an AE 80 out of a burned out house. It was a little warped but far from being junk to me!

I even recall dumpster diving at the Telco soon after I began to work for them! I worked in CO so didn't really have access to the outside stuff yet. Just after we started using NE Logic 10 and 20 keysets I was killing time and eating lunch out back of the CO I was working at. I did a stroll by the dumpster just in case and saw several Logic 10 boxes on top. They were all empty or just scraps of wire and junk inside....except for one. It was heavy so I grabbed it and quickly hid it in my car. On my way home I opened it, a brand new Logic 10 phone. I remeber the day well, it was my 19th birthday.

I still have it though it did a lot of time on my desk while I was still living at home and it had all of NE's Logic Series add-ons on it by then as well. Companion 3 Speakerphone and TeleDialer 32 looked great on a Logic 10.

Terry

Babybearjs

interesting thread..... I picked up a AE 102A 9 line call director brand new in a box... went to the TCI library to get the GSP....and they don't have it... The unit came with a copy of the schematic, but I need a better copy and more info... does anyone have the GSP: 473-514-100?? I'm trying to track down a PDF copy....  John
John

WesternElectricBen

As I learned from Terry, the AE name for a call director is actually a call commander.

Ben