"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Howdy! and 1A2 edge-connectors...

Started by AMCer, April 16, 2013, 09:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMCer

Hello All,
I'm trying to piece together a 1A2 key system.  So far I've collected some 400Ds...  Can someone tell me what the contact spacing is on these cards? I thought they were .156" but when I measured, they came out to be .142".

Where can I get the female edge connectors?

WesternElectricBen

Howdy! Welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry I can not be of much help though in this field.

Ben

poplar1

You may want to look for a self-contained 4-line system as was previously discussed here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3836.0

In any case, you will need 24 Volts DC to operate the 400-type lne cards, 10 Volts AC for the lamps in the phones, and either 10 Volts AC for the buzzers  and/or 90 VAC, 20- or 30-cycles, for the ringers.

The power supply that comes with the 551 KSU has all of the above except the 90 VAC. There is an optional 139A power supply for the ringers, or you can just use buzzers for incoming calls.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AMCer

I pulled out my calipers...  The edge connector IS .156" centers...

AE_Collector

Welcome to the forum! While you can probably buy suitable connectors and then wire it all up, that sounds like a lot of work to me when 1A2 stuff is one of the few pieces of old telephone gear that seems to be readily available still. We used 13 line panels wit han interupter in each shelf and we had "6 packs" that were 6 line systems complete with interupter, power supply and an intercom system. Many other arrangements of packaging exist down to the previously mentioned "Shoe Box" 4 line system includung power supply. Then you would have the "real deal"!

Terry

AMCer

I just set up an ebay notification, maybe I'll catch a 1A2 panel...

AE_Collector

Do you want the 1A2 system to run some old Keysets? If so and if 6 lines is more than enough I would try ot find one of the 6 packs though I am used to AE stuff which is called 10A2 but is compatible with 1A2. I am not certain that the other manufacturers made that conficuration. It is nice and easy to mount on the wall and usually comes with power supply and a dial intercom. Only problem is that it starts to get a bit heavy to ship. Where are you located?

Terry

AMCer

I'm in Austin, Texas...

What I've got right now is, 1 POTS line and 2 SIP trunks....   I have them running to 2 rotary phones and a touch-tone princess.  I'm wanting a key system because:

1) To get down to one phone per location.
2) The average person doesn't have a key system in their home.
3) It's old and I like old...

So far, I have 4 400D cards and I pretty much need everything else.  I'm on a budget (aren't we all) and not in a hurry.  It's like to find a really nasty old panel and clean it up and make it purdy.

I'm new to this so I'm also really clueless...

AE_Collector

Do you plan on getting key sets such as 564, 565, AE 186 or call directors to use with the key system?

Terry

AMCer

"Do you plan on getting key sets such as 564, 565, AE 186 or call directors to use with the key system?"

Yeah, no clue.  What ever I can find....

rdelius

I have lengths of 25 pair cable ,some with amp connectors fitted.Used to install 1a2 systems in radio stations