News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1950 GREEN 202

Started by MagicMo, January 13, 2020, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I was wondering about info regarding this phone. My husband bought it today for $25 at an estate sale. I know green is rare. Any info would help.
In excellent condition with all matching dates.
Thanks
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

LarryInMichigan

Maureen,

That would be a WE Continental from the 1950s.  Green is probably not an especially rare color, but finding one in very good condition is not easy.  Your handset is green plastic, and that alone is worth much more than the $25.  The dial and cords are suspicious.  I seriously doubt that they would have come with the phone from the factory.  Is there a mini network inside the phone?  I would guess that this phone came from one of the refurbishing shops which may have painted the D1.  At any rate, the phone is more than worth the price.

Larry

Jim Stettler

If you sell it for $100. you sell it cheap. I think $150 is cheap but a good price for a buyer.
As a seller try $200 including delivery to Continental  US and you have a win-win. Some collectors will think I am High. Some collector enthusiasts will think I am low. Find a happy buyer and be a happy seller.

Your collection has bonus value due to it's history. Don't forget that. That is added value , even if you sell on the  low side.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

I'm a Continental & Imperial fan. I agree $25 is a good price even if it's been modified Maureen.
Gary

poplar1

Mo, can you take pictures of the inside?

Continental and Imperials were assembled at the WE service centers, but only in 1955 and 1956. All the green Continentals  I've seen have either clear finger wheels + matching green fabric covered cords (H3P and D4U) --- or stainless steel finger wheels (unpainted) + black neoprene cords (H3AG and D4AN).

I don't think the cords and finger wheel are original.

from 1941-1954, color 202s were available on special order only. These usually had painted (over brown Bakelite) handsets.

The Continentals had painted over black Bakelite handsets, since by 1955 the painting of black Bakelite had advanced sufficiently.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

When push comes to shove. I will accept popular1 opinions as an accurate guide . I have been doing this a long time. I know what I know. Other folks know what they know. Popular1 knows what he knows. And he is on the intense side. Just my opinion on the hobby and the deep players.
No particular reason, It just seems that this info is his niche. It is not mine. It is his. Life is easier when you accept some folks really know their stuff. Popular1 is one of those folks, (in my opinion).
Just a commercial to recognize some of our resident experts.
Please continue with you life, this is just a hobby.
JMO,
Jim
Thank you Popular1 , I can see why you are a popular1 in this hobby.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

MagicMo

Thanks for all the info. It is so interesting trying to find out a phone's history.
I opened up the phone. You cannot see in the pics but I saw a date which I think is on the back of the plate that says F 56662 9-68 western electric.
Obviously not original like you all concurred.
Where did the handset come from??
Inside I see a small raised faint mark that
Says 6A* (6 A star )
Much appreciated!
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

paul-f

Quote from: MagicMo on January 14, 2020, 06:14:43 PM
You cannot see in the pics but I saw a date which I think is on the back of the plate that says F 56662 9-68 western electric.

F-56662 should be on the back of the dial. That was supplied as part of the F-56660 kit of internals for customer-supplied housing and handset. It has the gold-tone fingerwheel. As noted, later than the D-mounting or the Continentals.

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#581

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=f-56662
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Pourme

~

Thank you for posting that, Paul-f. I'm a fan of the Continentals. I have always been confused by the painted 202's with the brass finger wheel. This, if I read it correctly, explains a lot to me. When the local telco supplied the body, you can expect every variation one could imagine. Not like the steady hand of Bell as it produces The Continentals.

Thank you for that!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Babybearjs

nice green phone... looks like it needs some parts... missing a contact point (right side screw holes... for additional contacts)
John

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 15, 2020, 07:49:02 PM
nice green phone... looks like it needs some parts... missing a contact point (right side screw holes... for additional contacts)

A D1 has a single terminal there - no contacts.

A D1 configured as a 202 only uses that terminal if there is no dial (202A).

So the terminal is missing but it doesn't matter.

Jack

Key2871

Yes, he did very good, I like green sets and that one looks great for the price. Tell him good work, and nice eye to spot that  one.
KEN