News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two Tone AE 80

Started by HarrySmith, July 07, 2010, 08:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

The gray box is the capacitor and it should be in series with the ringer.
Jorge

HarrySmith

OK then, I will have to check that tonight, I do not recall what wires were and are connected where. I did not recognize that as a capacitor, I have AE capacitors that do not look anything like that ???
I imagine those are probably the ones I taped off :-\
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

The capacitor leads are colored white and black. The coils are green and red.
Jorge

HarrySmith

Yes, now I remember those are the ones I taped off, black & white :-[
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

They need to go in series with the ringer and the "serialization" takes place on the network. It is important to have them in series because DC flowing in a ringer will demagnetize it if it occurs over a long period of time.

Jorge

HarrySmith

OK, here is the thread where I posted the wiring diagram that was in the phone: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2996.0
When I wired it by this it would not ring ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

The capacitor is the gray box attached to the frame of the ringer. The capacitor should be in series with the ringer leads.....I think terminal 16 is used as the junction point for the two as 16 is not a part of the network otherwise. Oh, but I am thinking of the PCB type network and am not 100% certain that the potted network has a terminal 16 for this purpose.

Terry

EDIT: Oops, I dodn't notice a second page to this thread....you guys have covered this already now.

Terry

JorgeAmely

Harry:

The capacitor is the gray box to the left in the first picture.

The second picture shows how the ringer in my AE80 with the 20 Hz frequency ringer is wired:

I pulled out the wires for clarity, but it is

Green and Black from ringer together at network 6.
Red from ringer to 9(G) at network. (There could be a yellow mounting cord lead here also)
White from ringer to 10(L1) at network.

Now, notice the green, yellow and red wires from the mounting cord connected to 8(L2), 9(G) and 10(L1). Since this phone came equipped with an AE 283B plug, to complete the ringing circuit, the yellow and green mounting cord leads are connected together inside the 283B plug. Alternatively, you could fashion a small jumper and connect L2 and G together at the network.

If you are short of jumpers, move all the wire(s) from 9(G) to the empty terminal at 7 and it should work also. It just happens that internal to the network, terminals 7 and 8 are shorted together.

Happy ringing!  ;D ;D ;D

PS: Terminals 6 through 10 sit higher above 14, 15 and 16.
Jorge

HarrySmith

Thanks for the clarification Jorge. Last night was auction so I did not have a chance to do anything, I will get to it tonight :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

THANKS JORGE ;D
I rewired according to your info with the capacitor and the ringer works great! It is still not as loud as the WE 500's but it is much improved :D
This forum is great :) :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:
Do you have other phones connected around the house also? It could be that you are reaching or exceeding the 5 phone per line limit.

Jorge

HarrySmith

I have 3 other phones, a trimline in the bedroom, a 554 on the kitchen wall and some cheap panasonic speakerphone thing on the desk in my office. I remove the 554 as that is the jack I use for testing and the other 2 have ringers turned off. I did not know there was a 5 phone limit ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

If the phone ringers are still connected to the line, they will draw their REN.

Some areas used to have a Ren of up to 10. 
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Well, after building this I had a nice Green AE handset and number ring laying around. I was thinking about selling it. I was getting ready to build some AE90's  for the show and when I opened my parts box I had 3 Black 90's. so..........
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

McHeath

Looking good.  Those are some super clean phones you have there, did you scrub them?

I was of the impression that I'd never seen an AE90 in my life.  However, the other day I was looking through old pictures and found one of my college dorm room, and lo and behold the black phone on the wall was an AE90! 

They are a nice looking take on a wall phone, the handset off to the side allows you to see the dial at all times which makes them visually interesting, in my opinion.