"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My oldest AE80 yet

Started by Pourme, April 27, 2018, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

Among my finds this week was this AE80. I thought I'd document it here. Also, I love to hear what Terry has to say about them. Can you see any hint as to the date, Terry?

It smells like soft plastic and should clean up nicely.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

It does look like an older one. Does it have small plungers? Metal or plastic? I am sure Terry can get the date out of those codes. Great  catch! It even has a straight line ringer.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Hey Harry, It has small chrome plungers.
Benny

oldguy

Congratulations Benny, nice find.
Gary

HarrySmith

Quote from: Pourme on April 27, 2018, 08:07:26 PM
Hey Harry, It has small chrome plungers.

Nice! That makes it a real early one! Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on April 27, 2018, 11:38:17 PM
Congratulations Benny, nice find.

Thanks, Gary!

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 28, 2018, 06:58:03 AM
Nice! That makes it a real early one! Congrats!

Thanks Harry....I was lucky this week!
Benny

Pourme

I did a little clean up and used the chemical polishing technique on the body. Haven't worked on the cord or handset yet.

The number card had been turned around, I found the original printing on the reverse side. The number is "288".
Benny

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

old type 80 set might Be mfg by AE Chicago Before Northlake move about 1958.Also Leich in the 50s but housing and other parts still marked AE.Dial has a ring around it with letters and numbers
Chrome plungers,both cords out the back with no side notch for the heavy neophrime handset cord.Cardboard wiring diagram,plastic covers over dial and hookswitch  Dial mtg assy is held to the base with 2 crews. Later sets the dial snaps over tabs..Soft plastic except bakelite handset.r-w-bk color codes on the line cords and the handset with drop in capsules. Set introduced around  1952-4 range .

Pourme

Quote from: rdelius on April 28, 2018, 07:01:59 PM
old type 80 set might Be mfg by AE Chicago Before Northlake move about 1958.Also Leich in the 50s but housing and other parts still marked AE.Dial has a ring around it with letters and numbers
Chrome plungers,both cords out the back with no side notch for the heavy neophrime handset cord.Cardboard wiring diagram,plastic covers over dial and hookswitch  Dial mtg assy is held to the base with 2 crews. Later sets the dial snaps over tabs..Soft plastic except bakelite handset.r-w-bk color codes on the line cords and the handset with drop in capsules. Set introduced around  1952-4 range .

This set meets all the above requirements...date likely early 50's?...rather than late 50's? I'm getting excited!

I have been cleaning on it most of the day, The cord is be re-sprung now....

Benny

rdelius

I doubt it makes any value difference.I do not know where you draw the line between earky and late 50s but the spotting features put it to at least the before the move from Chicago  to Northlake in 57-28 or so. You have the earlier dial assy with a plastic # ring.. Look inside for the other changes

Pourme

Quote from: rdelius on April 28, 2018, 09:50:11 PM
I doubt it makes any value difference.I do not know where you draw the line between earky and late 50s but the spotting features put it to at least the before the move from Chicago  to Northlake in 57-28 or so. You have the earlier dial assy with a plastic # ring.. Look inside for the other changes

I guess increased $$ value would be good but makes no difference if you don't sell phones. I have yet to sell any of my phones. I just buy more! The # ring is plastic, I just get a feeling of sanctification knowing I found a earlier piece. My kids may be more concerned about it's value, at some point...Ha!

Thanks rdelius! 
Benny

poplar1

Where's Terry to translate "SN" to a date?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

Quote from: poplar1 on April 28, 2018, 11:05:34 PM
Where's Terry to translate "SN" to a date?

I need Terry! As I click my heels three times.....
Benny

Pourme

~

Finished the clean up this morning. I chemically polished the body using denatured alcohol, sanded the handset 600, 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit. body & handset polished with Novis 2 & Renaissance Wax using 6" buffer. The cord was wound up on dowel and baked in 250 degree oven for two hours, overnight in freezer then polished with Ren Wax.

I did nothing mechanically, it didn't need anything, it works perfectly!

It truly is a beauty, I'm proud to have it in my collection.

Now on to the 5302 I bought at the same time..... http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20331.msg208271#msg208271

Benny