News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric QSD-3A Restoration

Started by novice57, February 24, 2013, 10:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

novice57

Hi everybody....love this place and all the info that you guys provide. To say I'm a newbie/novice/greenhorn at phone restoration/collecting would be a vast understatement!!!! So when I ask stupid questions (which I'm sure they all will be), please don't laugh!!! OK,go ahead laugh I won't hear you! I'm not a collector as such (yet) but I just love old phones. All I have so far are a NE 554, a princess phone and what I consider a gem...a NE QSD-3A which was given to me by a buddy some time ago that I only now got around to really paying attention to! Now I'll cut to the chase...because I have NO knowledge of pay phones, and I want this converted for home use so bad, I'm looking for some (a lot) of help!! I've taken some pics and sent them to someone who told me all I'd need is a modular line cord. I thought great, now what connections do I make and to which terminals. (this is where you guys can start laughing). Hopefully someone can set me straight by letting me know what I would need and which connections to use to make this useable as a home phone. From the other pics I've seen of phones similar to this, it seems to be intact inside. (what do I know,right) I live in a small rural community so there are not many people familiar with payphone restoration. (yep...me included). Though I would love to have it ring and have ALL the bells and whistles working, just to be able to make calls would be a great start!! I've read about the sub-sets and networks and initially it was mind boggling at first, but it's starting to sink in a little bit. (laugh again)!!  Anyway..sorry to leave such a long-winded message. Just looking for some help.  I'll post some pics and hopefully they will give you guys something to go by! Thanks.

MIKE

DavePEI

Quote from: novice57 on February 24, 2013, 10:31:40 AM
Hi everybody....love this place and all the info that you guys provide. To say I'm a newbie/novice/greenhorn at phone restoration/collecting would be a vast understatement!!!! So when I ask stupid questions (which I'm sure they all will be), please don't laugh!!! OK,go ahead laugh I won't hear you! I'm not a collector as such (yet) but I just love old phones. All I have so far are a NE 554, a princess phone and what I consider a gem...a NE QSD-3A which was given to me by a buddy some time ago that I only now got around to really paying attention to! Now I'll cut to the chase...because I have NO knowledge of pay phones, and I want this converted for home use so bad, I'm looking for some (a lot) of help!! I've taken some pics and sent them to someone who told me all I'd need is a modular line cord. I thought great, now what connections do I make and to which terminals. (this is where you guys can start laughing). Hopefully someone can set me straight by letting me know what I would need and which connections to use to make this useable as a home phone. From the other pics I've seen of phones similar to this, it seems to be intact inside. (what do I know,right) I live in a small rural community so there are not many people familiar with payphone restoration. (yep...me included). Though I would love to have it ring and have ALL the bells and whistles working, just to be able to make calls would be a great start!! I've read about the sub-sets and networks and initially it was mind boggling at first, but it's starting to sink in a little bit. (laugh again)!!  Anyway..sorry to leave such a long-winded message. Just looking for some help.  I'll post some pics and hopefully they will give you guys something to go by! Thanks.

MIKE

Mike:

See:

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/qsd3a.html

Also for the wiring diagram:

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/qsd3a_1a.pdf
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

novice57

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've been to both of these pages a few times. As I've said...I have no idea about the wiring of a payphone. The page on the conversion is starting to sink in somewhat, but the schematic page just doesn't cut it for me! So sorry to sound so stupid, but as I've just started looking for info about this, maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. I'll just keep reading whatever info I can and keep plugging away at it and I'm sure eventually I'll get it!!!  Thanks again and this site is awesome!!!

poplar1

On the left side of the diagram is shown a "Sub Set 685A." This 685A subset contains the speech network and the ringer needed to complete the phone. You can also use a network from a 500 set.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Quote from: novice57 on February 24, 2013, 02:22:14 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. I've been to both of these pages a few times. As I've said...I have no idea about the wiring of a payphone. The page on the conversion is starting to sink in somewhat, but the schematic page just doesn't cut it for me! So sorry to sound so stupid, but as I've just started looking for info about this, maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. I'll just keep reading whatever info I can and keep plugging away at it and I'm sure eventually I'll get it!!!  Thanks again and this site is awesome!!!

Well, you will need to figure out the schematic page - it shows the interconnectons to the subset, and all QSD3A's require a subset to work. The subset is shown on the left hand side of the diagram, and the payphone wiring on the right.

You are best to use a 685A subset as it was originally designed for, but you can hide a network inside from a 500 set. Only thing, is it won't have a bell doing it that way.

You don't need to modify the phone at all, but when you connect it to a line, you might have to reverse the ring and tip to get it to work correctly.

One of Stan Schreier's payphone controllers could be used if you want to require that users insert coins (see http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8522.0 )  - the instructions are in his documentation package. However, you still need to have a proper subset attached... That is step one.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

novice57

Dave you are an amazing man and I admire your patience. I have looked at these 685A subsets on EBAY and will either bid on one of these or look for a network from a 500 set! I WILL figure out the schematics for this phone. Again my man.....thanks for your patience!

DavePEI

Quote from: novice57 on February 24, 2013, 03:02:56 PM
I WILL figure out the schematics for this phone. Again my man.....thanks for your patience!
I am sure you will. The most important thing is to compare what you see in the schematic to the interior of the phone. You are best to find a 685A - that way you will have the ringer - if you use a 500 network, it will work but no ringer unless you use an external ringer.

These are great phones, and somewhat unique, as WE never made an equivalent model.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

Never opened a pay phone, but isn't it a potted network we see on the picture, on the right side, just over the coin box? Or is it a relay unit??
dsk

DavePEI

Quote from: dsk on February 24, 2013, 03:57:08 PM
Never opened a pay phone, but isn't it a potted network we see on the picture, on the right side, just over the coin box? Or is it a relay unit??
dsk
No, that's a canned relay shown in the center portion of the schematic. QSD3A's do not have a network internal to the phone.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

novice57

Thanks dsk and Dave. Any and all comments can only help me! I know it must be frustrating trying to explain things to someone with as little knowledge about phones as myself, but, WHEN I get this working I'll be sure to let you know!!!! haha