News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Model 500 series number plate - How high should it be mounted?

Started by finkmac, March 11, 2016, 12:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finkmac

Not sure where to put this, it didn't fit into any of the other subforums.

I've managed to acquire a few (multiple!) 500-series sets in the past few months, and now I've been wondering...

How high is that number plate supposed to sit?

I see some mounted pretty high, and some mounted about even with the casing.

What's the proper height to mount it at?
NT Northern Telecom

Dan/Panther

The higher dial seems more normal.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

unbeldi

It should indeed be just slightly raised from the surrounding shell when properly mounted and the gasket is present.

WEBellSystemChristian

There is no way to adjust a dial on a 500 (there are two 'nubs' on the dial mechanism that insert into two matching holes in the dial post). The #9 dial bezels are a little higher than the #7s, so earlier 500s have more recessed bezels compared to the housing. The first phone you provided is probably early '80s (#9 dial, so the dial naturally sits higher) while the 2nd phone is '50s to mid '60s (lower mounted #7 dial).

At the same time, the housings on later 500s seem to be built lower around the dial area, so bezels seem higher.

The Red 500 looks like the plastics were built on a late '50s base. #9s don't like earlier bases; they tend to sit higher on earlier dial posts, creating stress on the lower-sitting housing. That's why a lot of later 500s have cracks around the bezel on the housing
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Here is a 1974 set, it seems to have about the same elevation as the gray 1959 set.

unbeldi

Here is a 1955-vintage blue.  The dial bezel has about the same elevation.

finkmac

Hmm, yeah, that makes sense.
The little mounting nubs still seem to allow a bit of adjustment, they have a bit of play, you can sort of adjust the angle.
NT Northern Telecom

Dennis Markham

From time to time I have encountered a chassis that is slightly bent, with a downward bow.  I don't know the cause for this "bending" but it is evident when viewing the chassis from the side on a flat surface.  One can see the distance between the table top and the bottom of the chassis.  If it is bent downward it will cause the support brackets for the dial to be lower than normal.  This will in turn make the dial bezel barely peek above the edge of the housing when in place.  I have corrected this problem by resting the center of the chassis on a piece of wood, like a 2X4 and pushing simultaneously on both ends of the chassis to straighten it.  It improves the raise in the dial and subsequently the dial bezel.

I've also seen a similar "warp" in a 554 chassis causing the same problem.  A slight movement will improve the position of the dial/bezel as it comes through the housing opening.

~Dennis