News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Addiction Strikes Again (Leich 700)

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 23, 2010, 09:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

That blue Leich is really pretty with the chrome fingerwheel.

How close is that color to the early 50s WE Mediterranean Blue?   Looks very similar.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 12, 2010, 08:29:57 AM
Jim,

I really like the blue phone.  The bold blue color really stands out.  You should be able to fix the deep scratches by carefully filling them with super glue, after removing any foreign matter, and sanding.  

I do have a convertible Oslo phone, about which I posted: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1899.15.  I have fun showing it to friends and neighbors and asking them what looks unusual about the dial.

I think that it is interesting to note that, while your Leich convertibles have standard 4.25" dials/bezels, mine has an older type 3" AE dial (AE40 type) which is inserted into a 4.25" soft plastic bezel (a bit like a 5302).  The face plate of the dial is black with white triangles, instead of the more common white with numbers.  The handset on my phone has a WE T1 transmitter and U1 receiver.

Larry

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Larry,  I guess the Oslo did come in white  ;D.

I checked the elements on the blue phone. They are WE style. The clear phone has a Black core. It has the larger dial , but the older elements. The blue is basically the same color as a WE blue (maybe a slight shade off). The plungers are clear. The plungers that came w/ the clear housing are black.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

I was informed by d_s_k when I bought the Oslo phone that the ivory phones were rare.  Only 26,000, or so, were made.  I think I got a bargain on it.

The plungers on my Leich 700 are chrome plated plastic or bakelite, but I ruined the plating by tossing the whole shell into a bucket of bleach solution as soon as I opened it and saw mold.

Larry

Jim Stettler

The Ivory oslo is quite nice and 26,000 is a small run.

Regarding the plungers. Odis (house of telephones) used to have a $1 sale at phone shows. I think i bought a baggie of chrome plungers at one of the shows. I am not sure what they are for. I will keep an eye out for them.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.