"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO Candlestick Problem

Started by Dan, August 08, 2009, 07:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

in the unhung position 39.0 same wires measured
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

That means that the switch is not working.  Did you lift the leaf while measuring?  Any change there?

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Can you get a close-up photo of where you re-attached the blue/yellow wire?  I want to make sure you attached it to leaf #2 and not to leaf #1.
-Bill G

Dan

unhung with leaf 1 up 4.48, hung up with leaf 1 pulled up (opened) 4.1
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

photo coming up soon

Dan

the wire goes under leaf 2, between it and the insulation above leaf three

Phonesrfun

Just for the heck of it, put one probe of the meter on the top leaf (#1) and the other probe onto any part of the metal frame.  Do you get a reading?

Also examine the stack very carefully and check that there is no other way other than the switch activating for leaf # 1 and 2 to contact each other. Something is shorting them out.
-Bill G

Dan

Phonesrfun

That is good. 

There must be something else that is causing the two leaves to mechanically touch each other, or there is something coming into contact with both 1 and 2 that is somehow bridging them.
-Bill G

Dan

question 2  I don't exactly know what you mean

Dan

Bill I think I need to adjust the stacks to get 1 and 2 to open in the hung up position better. As of now it probably is only opened 1/2 a millimeter (barely). These stacks are hard to adjust. Good idea?

Phonesrfun

Hard to verbalize because I know the results of what I am after, but not exactly what to look for in this instance.

I just sent you a PM to call me.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Dan

thanks for  the info Bill, I'll let you know if we can get switch 1 working better. Goodnight

Stephen Furley

Quote from: Dan on August 12, 2009, 09:26:19 PM
Hi Stephen, Mine flares out like a trumpet. It says W15 with 4001 under this with NO1 to the right of the W-15.
Where does it say this?  Is there anything stamped on the side of the brass part which attaches the transmitter to the top of the column?  If it's an Ex. GPO 'phone there should be a model number on the left, possibly with a previous model number struck out it it's been re-built from an earlier model.  On the right there should be a single letter followed by a number, these are the makers code, and the date.  Below these there should be another number, but I'm not sure what this means.  Of course, if your 'phone was made for somebody other than the GPO then it's likely to have different markings.

QuoteMine is very heavy also, you could probably identify my dial better than I could. It says PAT289244 on the bottom of it. How do you take off the dial card? It is like a WEstern Electric 500 with a metal dial?

That is a No. 10 dial.  The number 12, which mine has, looks very similar from the front; the difference is obvious when looking at the back.  The pulse contacts, the top ones in your picture, have to open once for each number position, e.g. six times if you dial a number 6, but only as the dial runs back; they must remain closed as you pull the dial round clockwise.  There are several possible ways to do this, of which two are used on British dials.  These are known as the 'Slipping cam type', found on older dials such as the number 10, and the 'Trigger' type, found on later types, such as the number 12.  If you look at your dial you will see a copper object which looks rather like a flower with petals.  This is found on the slipping cam type.  Turn your dial slowly in each direction, and you can see how it works.

The trigger dial has a lever which is dragged into one of two positions as the dial starts to rotate, one position as it rotates clockwise and the other anti-clockwise.  The first of these positions dis-engages the pulsing mechanism.

On this page: http://www.britishtelephones.com/dial1.htm there are pictures of the front and back of the No. 10 and 12 dials, which show that they look almost identical from the front, but quite different from the back.  Interestingly, the 'late' No. 10 dial on that page has the narrower finger stop, like that on a No. 12, I've only seen them with the slightly wider type, as seen on the Australian example.

There's an explanation of how the two types of dial work here:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/dial1.htm

QuoteCan't wait to see your pics.

I should have some up over the weekend, of both the 150 and the 232.

I've reconstructed the cut back wire in the cord this afternoon, that went quite well, wired it up to the bellset and, it doesn't work.  No dial tone, no sound at all in the receiver, no signal out when I speak into the transmitter.  The hook switch is doing something, as if I plug in another 'phone the dial tone on that get's slightly quieter when the hook switch on the 15 is closed.  also, the bell in the other 'phone tinkles as the shunt contacts in the 150 dial open and close.  This seems to indicate that me repair to the cord was successful.  Test meter needed; I'll try to look at it tomorrow or Sunday.  I'm trying to avoid opening up the 150 if I can possibly avoid it.  I've got the blacksmithing course all day on Saturday.

When we've both got our candlesticks working maybe we could arrange a time that I could call you one day, taking account of the different timezones.  There can't be many calls between two candlesticks these days, albeit with lots of modern digital stuff in between.