News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I use this?

Started by persido, May 07, 2014, 01:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

I know it's a mounting spider for an open face finger wheel (I think).  How do I place it onto a dial, I'm sure it's a simple task, maybe I'm missing another piece. I hope someone has a picture.

Thanks.....Scot

rdelius

place the fingerwheel face downward, place window,#card and then this is inserted tabs up, look for slots for the tab to go into, then rotare to lock into place

persido

Thanks rdelius, after that how dose it go on the #6 dial?

Thanks.......Scot

poplar1

Once you have assembled the complete finger wheel--window first, then number card, then this adapter (rotated to hold the card and window in)--turn the finger wheel right side up again. Since you rotated the metal part the card and window should stay in. Now the finger wheel goes back on the dial just as the later solid center ones do: place the finger wheel with the operator hole over the 9, then rotate the finger wheel  counter-clockwise 30 degrees til you hear the click.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotarDad

Poplar1 - You've omitted the part of the process where all that rotating causes your dial card to be "off"  just a few degrees once the wheel is back in place..... then you disassemble and repeat....... ;)
Paul

Phonesrfun

Quote from: RotarDad on May 07, 2014, 10:32:52 PM
Poplar1 - You've omitted the part of the process where all that rotating causes your dial card to be "off"  just a few degrees once the wheel is back in place..... then you disassemble and repeat....... ;)

Hate it when that happens....
-Bill G

poplar1

That's why there is a notch in the window and in the station number card

Quote from: RotarDad on May 07, 2014, 10:32:52 PM

Phonesrfun

Even with a notch, those little buggers can turn out just a little less than perfectly horizontal.  Especially the notches that are kind of a widened "V" shape.
-Bill G

RotarDad

WE designed this pretty well, I think it is just old celluloids and dial cards creating the slop.  But I prefer to use the old parts, even if it takes a few tries to get the card lined up!
Paul

persido

Thanks for the help everyone, I must be missing a piece or two, I just can not see how I can attach the finger wheel to the dial using this mounting piece.
I'm thinking this mounting piece is for a 500 model phone only.

Scot

poplar1

You're missing the "finger wheel clamp" that stays on the dial, held on by the hex nut.

See Fig. 13 in C34.103 Issue 1 (TCI library link below)

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/4751-c34-103-i1-aug54-station-dials-2-4-5-6-7-types-maintenance

There's probably one that needs to be removed from a black 500 with 7D dial, or a pay phone, where the original metal finger wheel has been replaced with a plastic one. The same finger wheel clamp will work on both 6D and 7C dials, and with both the older "open center" finger wheels and the newer type.

poplar1

Here's a picture of the missing part posted by Dennis in reply #20:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=750.msg9046#msg9046

Doug Rose

Scot....pm me your address and I'll get one out to you....Doug
Kidphone