News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Polane painted plastic 302

Started by persido, May 12, 2014, 01:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

I really wanted a plastic blue 302, and I knew it is very unlikely to get an original, so I looked at the reproductions they sell at oldphoneworks.com, $300.00 for a painted plastic 302 sorry way to much money. So I decided I would do it myself, well getting polane paint is out of the question, you cant just walk into a paint store and buy it come to find out and it is very $$$, so I started searching for someone to do it for me, I went and called a bunch of places and all I got was no we don't do that. I finally came across a small Puerto Rican owned/ran paint finishing shop in Haverhill Ma. they said sure we can do that, and what a job they did, wow looks like something the phone company could of done, I dropped off another shell and handset this time I told them chocolate brown, I hope it comes out as good as this one, they told me to let it sit for a few more days, it will become rock hard. The phone was $18.00 and they charged me $80.00 for the paint job, so my blue phone cost me $98.00 vs. $300.00 from oldphoneworks.

Scot

Nick in Manitou

Wow!  Sure looks good from here!

Nick

unbeldi

Quote from: persido on May 12, 2014, 01:59:09 PM
I really wanted a plastic blue 302, and I knew it is very unlikely to get an original, so I looked at the reproductions they sell at oldphoneworks.com, $300.00 for a painted plastic 302 sorry way to much money. So I decided I would do it myself, well getting polane paint is out of the question, you cant just walk into a paint store and buy it come to find out and it is very $$$, so I started searching for someone to do it for me, I went and called a bunch of places and all I got was no we don't do that. I finally came across a small Puerto Rican owned/ran paint finishing shop in Haverhill Ma. they said sure we can do that, and what a job they did, wow looks like something the phone company could of done, I dropped off another shell and handset this time I told them chocolate brown, I hope it comes out as good as this one, they told me to let it sit for a few more days, it will become rock hard. The phone was $18.00 and they charged me $80.00 for the paint job, so my blue phone cost me $98.00 vs. $300.00 from oldphoneworks.

Scot

How did you specify the color exactly to the shop?  Just by picture?
The 302 blue is very close to the 500-series Mediterranean dark blue.

baldopeacock

It looks good.   Paint the dial body white, add appropriate cloth cords, it's going to look great.

I'm thinking that Polane's really nothing more than a urethane enamel, which was the toughest stuff around then.   Most automotive paint now is urethane.   Very sandable and polishes up like - well, like a shiny car.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Doug Rose

Scot....another winner!! It is beautiful.....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: baldopeacock on May 12, 2014, 05:49:17 PM
It looks good.   Paint the dial body white, add appropriate cloth cords, it's going to look great.

I'm thinking that Polane's really nothing more than a urethane enamel, which was the toughest stuff around then.   Most automotive paint now is urethane.   Very sandable and polishes up like - well, like a shiny car.

Well, Polane is actually a polyurethane, which has nothing to do with urethane, other than that both contain the urethane functional group. It in essence doesn't just 'coat' the surface, but bonds pretty well, and therefore is very hard to remove. The polymerization reaction occurs on the surface when painting, shortly after two components are mixed to react with one another.

persido

Thanks everyone, I left a picture of a blue 500 with the phone, and they got as close as they could, they actually mixed several paints to come up with this shade of blue.

Scot