News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craigs List find: WE '48 302 and '55 500

Started by Tim Mc, September 06, 2013, 02:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Mc

Picked these up today, $35 for the pair.  I haven't had a chance to pop the covers, but the 302 has 4/48 dates on the handset elements.  The heavy rubber handset cord has some cuts and the shell will need some TLC, but not bad overall.  I assume the 500 is a 2-line 510?  The dates don't match, but couldn't pass it up.  Looking forward to trying them out tonight or this weekend.

Tim Mc

The verdict is in:  One is a matching numbers 4/48 306 H5 with B3A ringer, 372A tube & 195C 2-lead capacitor.  It's wired for individual line and dials out fine, but won't ring after switching the leads around.  According to the info found at TCI, to lower the ringer impedance I'll need to replace the tube+capacitor and ringer with a 195A and B1A, effectively making it a 302.  There are several scratches and nicks on the shell, so it looks like I'll be doing a little sanding and polishing.

The other is a '55 510AB that works fine and should clean up nicely with just a little work.

WEBellSystemChristian

I have a strong feeling that those phones will clean up beautifully! :D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

zaphod01

I envy you the 306. I have a very nice 306 base with a 372A tube. I've been looking for a H5 case. I just can't get myself to put a H1 case on it.

Great find!
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Tim Mc

Thanks.  Maybe I'll leave it as a stock 306 and keep the 372A tube, but add a small 2mF capacitor to get a working ringer.