News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Freebie "French" Repro

Started by Ed Morris, November 27, 2017, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Great idea! It is always wise to make changes that are reversible!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ed Morris

Could we have a moment of silence for the little Princess who gave her life for another... ::)

Ed

LarryInMichigan

I am sorry that I cannot remember and have no pictures of how the components were attached to the plate before I dismantled things.  All that I do remember is that a 4010 network was attached somehow and that there was a ringer on the other side.  it is almost a wonder that I remembered having the phone in the first place.

Someone here must have one of these lying around.

Larry

poplar1

I don't know whether the earlier 581A bases had M-type  (Princess ) ringers. By 1974 they had P-type (Trimline) ringers:
This photo is in 1978 (BSP 503-100-120 Issue 4)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

I think that the broken rivets in the base used to hold 'L' brackets which held the 4010 network.  Were P-type ringers in existence in early 1968 when this base was made?

Larry

Ed Morris

I think it will all fit together.  The plate is definitely designed for the 4010 network as it matches up perfectly with the screw holes.  I've drilled new holes for the ringer and it should fit fine, and the slider can be accessed through the slot in the base.  I have'nt attached either yet, but will work on it more tomorrow.

Ed

poplar1

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 05, 2017, 06:21:06 PM
I think that the broken rivets in the base used to hold 'L' brackets which held the 4010 network.  Were P-type ringers in existence in early 1968 when this base was made?

Larry

P-type ringers were used in Trimlines from the beginning (1965?)...however, they were not used in Princess phones until 1981. I don't know if they were ever used in Decorator phones such as this one.

Ed Morris

I removed the threaded studs the ringer attaches to on the Princess base plate and J-B Welded them to the JN-4 plate.  I also had to remove two bumps in the plate that were too high for the Princess ringer.  I just drilled them out, and I still need to clean up  the one near the edge (see first photo).  I will let the J-B Weld set overnight before attaching the ringer and network.

While waiting for the J-B Weld to set, I hooked up the network and ringer to a Sage 930 and tested the ringer, and it works fine.

Ed

Ed Morris

Well, things are coming together, I hope.  I tapped the mounting holes for the 4010 network for 4-40 screws and mounted the network on Larry's plate.  The threaded studs I attached to the plate with J-B Weld had cured, so I installed the ringer. 

I connected the ringer, and the wires from the hookswitch to the network.  The leads from the hook switch on the base plate were the same colors as those on the Princess hook switch, so I connected them according to the 702B schematic.  If the lead colors are standardized, then I should be good to go on the hook switch and ringer.

The dialer may be a problem.  The leads from the Princess 8A dial are white-white-blue-green.  The JN-4 dialer leads are white-white-red-black.  I've connected the dialer leads as I think they should be, but won't be sure it's right until I can test everything.  I'm still working on restoring the handset, so I won't be able to test until tomorrow.

Ed

HarrySmith

Good job! Looks great! I am sure one of our wiring experts will chime in on the dial wiring shortly.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Black from BL of dial to F    on network
Red   from G   of dial to RR on network

White from BK of dial to R   on network
White from R   of dial to GN on network

This is for a 6T, 6U, F-53360 or F-53361 dial

Ed Morris

Thanks, Poplar1.  I had red and black correct, but the white leads reversed.  I hope to finish up tomorrow, and see if it works.  I will post the results
Ed

Ed Morris

Bummer!  The hookswitch is bad.  I got it all back together and plugged it into a phone line, lifted the receiver, and nothing.  So I plugged it in to the Sage 930, and I could see that it was not going off-hook when I lifted the receiver. 

I was pretty confident that I had wired it up correctly, so I disconnected all the leads from the hookswitch and wired in the hookswitch from the donor Princess phone, and everything worked perfectly.  I get a good dial tone and the phone dials out, the ringer works.

So...do I try and figure out what is wrong with the hookswitch, or use the hookswitch from the Princess phone?  It is not going to work without some extensive modifications, but I think it could be done.  Has anyone fixed one of these hookswitches before?

Ed

Ed Morris

OK, not the hookswitch, it is fine.  The problem is a mechanical adjustment.  The plunger isn't letting the hookswitch come up enough when the handset is lifted, so I should be able to adjust it.
Ed

Ed Morris

Now I'm getting frustrated :-\.  I got the hookswitch working fine.  I put everything back together, and now it won't dial out correctly.  When I had the Princess hookswitch temporarily wired in, I was able to dial my cell phone.  The phone rings when dialed.

Now, when I try to dial my cell phone, I get a "Number not in service" message, or I get a wrong number.  When I check the dialer with the Sage 930 digit receiver, it records the numbers I dial correctly, with no errors.  The dial is breaking at 63%-64% on all dialed numbers, although it's a bit slow at 9.2 - 9.3 pps.

Oh well, at least the cosmetic work is done:

Ed