News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Here In North Georgia

Started by old drifter, February 12, 2017, 12:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old drifter

Hi everyone, I've always had an interest in the rotary phone having grown up in the era of their use. I'm kind of a collector of a wide variety of stuff... some I have to hide from the wife, she thinks I'm a junk collector. Anyhow I came across a yellow WE 500 that I couldn't pass up and the price was right. The only thing it needs is a new finger wheel.
I tried it and it seems to work incoming and dials out, however the bell doesn't ring. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Got a message that they failed the security check.?  ???

It's the one in my avatar.
Gene

TelePlay

Quote from: old drifter on February 12, 2017, 12:16:00 PM
I'll post pics as soon as I can. Got a message that they failed the security check.?  ???

Welcome to the forum.

This may help both understand and how to resolve the security check error:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16137.msg180586#msg180586

A lot of information on everything from taking to posting pictures can be found in this board:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=84.0

Number, please!

Welcome old drifter!  You sound a bit like me.  My wife kinda ignores my puttering around.
Stu

andre_janew

Your ringer not working could be a wiring issue.  We have wiring diagrams that may be helpful to you. 

HarrySmith

You probably have to move 1 wire to get the ringer working. IIRC the ringer wire from the G terminal has to go to the L1 terminal.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

oldguy

Welcome Gene. You may find this hard to believe but your not the only one with a wife that thinks your good stuff is junk :)
Gary

Junk, what junk. It's all good stuff, I would know because I keep all my good stuff in the garage where my wife can't see it. :) Welcome to CRPF.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: old drifter on February 12, 2017, 12:16:00 PM
Hi everyone, I've always had an interest in the rotary phone having grown up in the era of their use. I'm kind of a collector of a wide variety of stuff... some I have to hide from the wife, she thinks I'm a junk collector. Anyhow I came across a yellow WE 500 that I couldn't pass up and the price was right. The only thing it needs is a new finger wheel.
I tried it and it seems to work incoming and dials out, however the bell doesn't ring. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Got a message that they failed the security check.?  ???

It's the one in my avatar.

The phone stuff isn't junk, it is CRAP (Communication Related Apparatus & Parts). Welcome to the forum.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

stub

Gene,
         Welcome to the madness  ;D. There has to be something in the water in Georgia and Tenn. :o as my wife thinks I'm a junk collector also.  Love to see pics . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

skyrider

Hi old drifter, welcome to the Rotary Forum. You can find a great bunch of friendly, knowledgeable and phoney folks here. What county in North Georgia do you live in? I grew up in Catoosa county and live in Gwinnett county. I've had to make two deals with the wife about collecting old phones. The first was either I would collect old phones or go to bars and chase women. She said I could collect my #%*@ phones. She also says the house is hers but the basement and barn belong to me. I have lots of finger wheels, be glad to send you one.
Bill Compton