Find of the Month - January 2015

Started by AE_Collector, January 01, 2015, 06:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - January 2015    *Vote for Two*

andre_janew's red WE2500 for $10 plus $12.85 shipping on eBay
2 (7.7%)
Alexander's black AE Monophone desk set for $12.50 plus $9 shipping on eBay
2 (7.7%)
SargeGuy's Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company Badges for $128 each on eBay
3 (11.5%)
LarryInMichigan's Australian 802 for $37.89 total on eBay
4 (15.4%)
WEBellSystemChristian's all-1956 (except for the cords) red WE 500 for $21.05 plus $16.50 shipping on eBay
5 (19.2%)
HarrySmith's painted Green AE 35 for $5 from Roger Conklin's collection at Maitland
12 (46.2%)
Mr. Bones' project Ivory 302 purchased from Kenton K for $50.00 plus $12 shipping
4 (15.4%)
Compubit's pink "1 and a half" Trimline for $45.61 total on eBay
2 (7.7%)
Autonut's 1950's type 9A telephone booth for $350.00 CDN ($275 US) plus $30 CDN ($24 US) in gas to pick it up from the seller
8 (30.8%)
Fabius' "United" telephone sign in excellent condition for $200 plus $15 for shipping
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 26

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" for January 2015 here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) at least one picture of the item.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) where and/or how it was found.
4) the forum link if discussed in another topic on CRPF.
5) the eBay link if won there.
6) and other information of importance about the find.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on PhotoBucket. Thanks John.

To check them out, click --> HERE <--

Terry

andre_janew

When I was on eBay searching for yet another $0.99 phone, I came across this red WE2500 with a starting bid of $0.10.  I set a maximum bid of $3.50.  A couple of days later I get outbid, so I increase my maximum bid to $12.50.  I ended up getting it for $10 plus $12.85 shipping.  The handset cord is probably long enough to be a line cord!

www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Western-Electric-Bell-System-2500DMG-Desk-Telephone-Not-Tested-AS-IS/161   EDIT: fixed link is below; link picture added for posterity

Red-Western-Electric-Bell-System-2500DMG-Desk-Telephone-Not-Tested-AS-IS

This phone is a modular phone made in 1977.  There is a red 1969 WE2500 on eBay that probably has close to the same length of handset cord as this one.

My phone can also be found at:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13273.0

andre_janew

Wow!  I had no idea the handset cord would stretch to 25 feet!

Alexander

I bought this off E-Bay on January 4 for $12.50 plus $9 shipping.

The pictures are as it arrived, pre-cleanup.
~Alexander

AE_Collector

I am renominating SargeGuys Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company Badges that were nominated last month. Sarge had two entries last month which is against the Find of the Month rules so lets give these a second chance this month.

Here is a topic about te badges:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13164.0

And here is what SargeGuy had to say about them:

Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company stuff is very rare, and it one of my collecting interests.  These were purchased off eBay for $128 ea.  While not exactly a bargains the time to buy these is when you see them.  After purchasing them I did a bit of detective work to track down their provenance.  Eleven badges were in the possession of the grandson of the director of Southern Mass.  and were sold at an estate sale of his grandson.  Some were sold to a dealer in PA while one was kept by the purchaser.  All but one showed up on eBay in the same week.  Of the eleven So. Mass. Tel. Co. badges known to exist, there is only one Inspector Badge and three with raised bells.

TelePlay

I would like to re-nominate LarryInMichigan's Australian 802 (first nominated in December but retracted when his soft plastic grey Banjo was nominated) that he found on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Retro-Red-Rotary-Dial-Phone-Telephone-/321611106492

for $27.09 plus $15.80 $10.80 for shipping - a total of $42.89 $37.89, less than what one would pay for shipment alone if this phone was sold by a seller in Australia. I've seen a lot of these listed on eBay from Australia but have never been able to cough up the funds to buy one. This one is in very nice condition with all the correct cords so a very nice find, indeed, for Larry this month. This phone is being discussed on the forum at this link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13316.0

WEBellSystemChristian

I'll nominate my all-1956 (except for the cords) WE 500 for $21.05 on ebay. Almost everything is dated between February and March of that year.

It looks pretty rough, but the restoration is coming along smoothly!

EDIT: Restored photo now included.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13466.0
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

I've never seen one with a 2prong plug before.  Most unusual.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: andre_janew on January 21, 2015, 01:25:27 PM
Yeah, two of them broke off at some point. The plug is pretty cheaply built, anyway.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Quote from: andre_janew on January 21, 2015, 01:25:27 PM

Good eyes Andre! That made me laugh!

If any more break off it will be a "1 Prong Plug"!

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 21, 2015, 02:39:19 PM
If any more break off it will be a "1 Prong Plug"!

Terry
And then if the final one breaks off, it will be an Unplug!
Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

I would like to nominate my entire phone haul from Maitland but I realize I can only choose one.
I had a tough time with making a choice.
I was torn between the 1950 500 and the AE 35.
Finally chose the AE 35 as I believe it is harder to find, at least here in the US.
So, here it is my painted Green AE35. Picked up at Maitland from Roger Conklin's collection for $5.00
I will start a thread once I begin restoration.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Well you can nominate groups of phones bought at once though I guess it might be a gray area whether these were bought at once or not. BUT, I think single items almost always do better here anyway so your AE35 is likely better on its own. You can always run the 500 next month Harry.

I am still trying to find the pictures I took at Rogers place. I distictly remember seeing that green painted AE 35 on the wall. I have a great picture filing system here, everything in its proper folders on the computer until I try to find a specific picture. Then it is as if I didnt even have my camera with me that day at all!

Roger worked for Nortel for so long that years ago I had sent him a 1990 (ish) phone that Nortel designed for BC Tel as their every day rental set. It was called "Heritage". I was impressed that day to see that the phone was beside his chair as his "Daily Driver"!

Terry

HarrySmith

Maybe next month for the 500 is a good idea.
I remember Roger talking about that phone you gave him.
I am very glad we made that trip and got to see Roger, so excited about his phones and the stories to go with them. He had a story for every phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I was asked a few weeks ago on another thread below, "I hope you have plans for all this stuff when you pass on..... where does all this stuff wind up after you leave this life"

I smart assed an answer "yard sale." .................John....I apologize.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8211.msg140843#msg140843

That being said, how could a AE35 come from Roger Conklin's estate for $5. One of the Pioneer's of our hobby...plus a real great guy. Ray Kotke and Roger's daughter were/are a couple. How could this possibly happen?

Harry.....not a slam as you got a HUGE deal for $5 but WTH!!

Janet does know the value of my collection, but there WILL be a talk with her and the kids this weekend. Twelve pics of a Blue 302 and list it for $1.00...Blue Telephone.  Some might fall through the cracks, but that happens anyway. My grandchildren need an education.,,if not a good hobby  8)

This is good for Harry, but very sad for the relatives of my friend. This was a true eye opener......Doug
Kidphone