"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a WECo Blue 1554

Started by cihensley@aol.com, April 03, 2011, 11:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

Brinybay:

I cleaned it thoroughly using the jsowers method then soaked it in 30% hydrogen peroxide hair cream. The hair cream was discussed in posts about a month ago. I placed the cord in a large zip-loc bag, covered it with poured in hair cream and set it front of a heat lamp for about 5 hours. It removed a lot of the discoloration, but not all of it.

Chuck

AE_Collector

Chuck:

Looking at the first picture I instantly thought that the wooden item that the sander is resting on "Had Telco written all over it". Then when I got to the third picture IT DID have Telco (Bell) written on it. Is it a ladder seat?

Terry

cihensley@aol.com

Terry:

It is a Bell System stool. Like all early Bell System items it was made to survive a disaster and is made of solid oak. There were a number of them in the SXS COs. You sat on them when you were cleaning banks or doing other work on 197 switches that were low down in a bay. Some PBX installers had one too. They used them when they were soldering (before punch down blocks) a lot of cable leads to an inside terminal.

Chuck

AE_Collector

Okay, we had a similar item that I think our shops made up from plywood that they painted battle ship gray. It was a 3 sided box with the top seat on it and a similar handhold throiugh the middle to easily carry it. It also had a middle shelf  below the top seat and since it was three sided only you could flip it upside down and sit on the middle shelf if you needed to be even closer to the floor. The stool was twice as wide as it was deep so you could also flip it up on end to be twice as high. CLever things they made back then!

Terry

david@london

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on May 09, 2011, 05:38:16 PM
Jorge:

Here are pictures showing the detail sander. You can see the accumulated plastic sanding dust on it. The triangular foot is H&L. I buy micro-mesh in 3" H&L discs. I show the front and back of a couple of the discs. Because the edge of the disc overlaps the sander foot, you can sand into corners and get both sides at the same time. This is what the last picture is trying to show.

Chuck

does anyone (maybe some of the british members) know anywhere in the uk where i can get hold of the micromesh discs shown in the photo on the first page of this post ??

i'm sanding a soft plastic 500 using micromesh pads.........only trouble is i think i'm getting an rsi-type ache in the wrist & need some power-assisted sanding help !!

the finest grit sanding sheet i can find for my bosch mini sander is only 180.

any help/suggestions welcomed.

thanks, david

TelePlay

Here's one source I use.

Google has many. This link is for 3" hook and loop disks. 1 to 5 inch diameters are available.

http://tinyurl.com/d2emmar

david@london

thanks for yr reply teleplay.

... that link seems to be for a co. in the states tho, who won't ship to my address in london. i'm happy to order from the states, but it seems weird that i'm not finding any british stockists after trawling pages of google.

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on June 17, 2012, 12:38:37 PM

thanks for yr reply teleplay.

... that link seems to be for a co. in the states tho, who won't ship to my address in london. i'm happy to order from the states, but it seems weird that i'm not finding any british stockists after trawling pages of google.

If you go to the Woodcraft corporate web page

http://tinyurl.com/7jxct29

and click the link "Do you ship outside of the contiguous U.S.?" under Frequently Asked Questions. They give the following statement about shipments outside the US.

"If your order is to any country or territory outside of these areas, complete your order as an International Shopper. On international orders we will contact you with shipping options and costs before processing your payment. We will generally quote 2 or 3 options including, where applicable, ground, air and sea shipping methods. Should you decide that none of these options are acceptable, due to expense or timing, you are free to cancel your order without penalty. Please note: Flammable items can not be shipped by air or sea in international shipments. We accept U.S. funds only, and for your convenience we recommend you use a credit card or bank money order (if ordering by mail). Personal checks or money orders are not accepted unless drawn on a U.S. bank. Direct Ship from Manufacturer items are not available for international shipment."

They also state somewhere that they send catalogues to over 117 countries.

This link will take you directly to the disks on their site and the bottom of the page has the link to the corporate shipping policies noted above.

http://tinyurl.com/chb7z76

The photos are from the order page of their catalogue.

Hope this helps.

david@london

thanks for the info teleplay !.........i may order some discs for future use if i can't find any in the uk.

i am perservering, meanwhile, with hand-sanding using the square pads, which are brilliant

thanks again, david

.........i've now found a product called abranet, made by mirka, abrasive sheets with velcro backing -  up to 600 grit, available in the uk from axminster tools.

WesternElectricBen

Man! You did a really great job. Im going to do the same with my aqua princess phone!
Ben

AE40FAN