News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this braided cord authentic for AE 40?

Started by Kellogg Kitt, March 20, 2023, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kellogg Kitt

I do not like this braided cloth handset cord.  I am thinking about getting rid of it, unless it is authentic for this phone.

Is it actually original equipment for this phone, or did somebody (as I suspect) add it later?

Wade

poplar1

Looks like an Automatic Electric Extensicord. Yes, they were an option on this model. They sell for about $75 for New Old Stock examples.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Kellogg Kitt

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  That settles it.  I am keeping it!

Wade

TelePlay

Could you take off the transmitter cap, remove the element and take a picture of how it is attached to the handset.

It would be interesting to see how the cord is retained.

Thanks.

poplar1

It appears to have ties on each end, rather than metal restraints.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201212736356
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on March 21, 2023, 12:51:10 AMIt appears to have ties on each end, rather than metal restraints.

Yes, seems the tie is outside the handset so wanted to see if it came loose or broke off, or something else.

FABphones

Does the cord have any 'stretch' and recoil? Looks like a standard (none elastic) braid to me unless it has totally lost its elasticity (but you can still tell if it had any, check the centre of the cord). I have a couple, one old which will never recoil again and one which is old but ok. I learnt how to braid both and the one on the phone doesn't look quite the same (from what I can see).

*You can pull the tied end inside the handset and tighten the tie. It's a nice cord (this is the style of cord used on many GPO telephones).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Yes, it does appear to be a stretched out Extensicord. They do use a cord to tie off as restraints. I have a few .
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

I have a very similar looking cord on an older AE phone that is (was?) an Extensicord as some sections still retain a little elasticity.

FABphones

It's looking good for you then Wade, I can't see the extensi form but you will be able to compare against the images easily enough. Nice find.

And nice phone tubaman, always liked that model.

:)

tubaman

Looking more closely at the cord in my photo and another Extensicord I have it looks like the elasticity comes from an elastic piece that runs down the centre of the interwoven conductors. If your cord has that then I'd say it was an Extensicord, otherwise probably not.

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on March 21, 2023, 09:13:46 AM...it looks like the elasticity comes from an elastic piece that runs down the centre... ...If your cord has that then I'd say it was an Extensicord, otherwise probably not.

Exactly right.

As mentioned in my reply (#6, above), if Wade checks the centre of the cord he should easily be able to see it as it runs straight in the centre of the braid (woven inside, not through). On an old cord some remnants will also be present.

(In my experience the braid form of an extensicord is also squarer than those without).

Kellogg Kitt

The cord is not tied or fastened to the phone except by the screws into the spade lugs.  The conductors pass loosely through the restraint/guide in the base.  There is a metal restraint/guide screwed into the transmitter cup, but the cord is not in it.

I wondered how to identify the conductors since they are all the same color.  Then I noticed each spade lug has letters molded into it to identify the color.

Near the screw terminals in the handset, there is a channel molded into the plastic to guide placement of the wire and prevent it from moving when the screw is turned, so that it will not block the transmitter element.  I like that that.  It is a good design feature.

Now, for the difficult question, the elasticity. 

The cord is soft and flexible, but it does not stretch or contract.  I compressed it longitudinally, and the braids puffed outward while the cord shortened, making it look like the one in the eBay link posted by poplar1. 

At first, I thought there was not a separate elastic cord inside, but then I discovered that there actually is one.  It was very difficult to distinguish the braided strands, and my eyes were playing tricks on me.  I noticed the elastic band only by looking at a zoomed-in picture.  Look at the picture of where the cord enters the base.  One strand is slightly darker than the others.  That is the elastic band!

After I noticed it from the picture, I grabbed it with needle-nosed pliers and pulled it out slightly.  Then, I could clearly see that there were 4 other strands.  The camera makes these look brownish, but actually they are a slightly lighter shade of black.  When I grabbed the elastic strand, I could pull it out only a few millimeters.  That tells me that it is intact and fastened at both ends, but it has lost its elasticity and does not retract the cord anymore.

Besides the elastic band, there are 4 other strands in the braid that look identical.  3 are the electrical conductors.  The 4th is cut off at both ends.  At first glance, I thought someone had simply snipped off an unneeded 4th conductor.  Or, as an alternate theory (before I discovered the elastic band), I thought this 4th strand might be the elastic strand.  The problem with that theory is that it has copper inside.  I squinted and used a magnifying glass and bright light, but could not decide whether I was seeing copper or, perhaps, copper-colored elastic.

Finally, I decided to cut off a sample and dissect it.  It had already been cut anyway, so another quarter inch could do no harm.  Inside the black sheath were twisted fine strands of copper surrounded by white strands.

I think that the sole purpose of the 4th strand is to secure the cord to the phone and prevent stress on the conductors.  Probably, it was supposed to be tied in at both ends, but whoever installed mine decided not to tie it in properly and just cut off that 4th strand.

My theory is that the copper in the 4th strand is not for electrical necessity, but just for manufacturing efficiency. They probably decided to use the same cord stock for all 4 strands, thus avoiding the need to make a separate stock without the copper.

Comparing mine to the eBay picture posted by poplar1, my cord looks essentially similar except that the braids are stretched out and the 4th strand has been cut instead of secured to the phone.  My braids looked like those when I compressed them.  Also, notice the description in the Extensicord ad, "Normally only thirty-two inches long . . . stretches to approximately twice its original length."  Mine when fully extended is 63 inches from base to handset.

Based on all of the above, I am pretty sure mine is a genuine Extensicord that has lost is elasticity due to age or heavy use.  Thanks to all who posted comments and information.  24 hours ago, I thought I had a piece of fake junk, and now I know I have something authentic!

(More pictures in next post)

Wade

Kellogg Kitt

More pics, showing spade lug labels, wire channel, copper strands, cord length
Wade

FABphones

Good detail and nice clear photos. Thanks for adding.

QuoteBesides the elastic band, there are 4 other strands in the braid that look identical.  3 are the electrical conductors...

Different numbers of threads (sometimes called lanyard or gimp threads) are used for braid designs with many different ways to weave them which give their final look.

This braid has four 'conductor' threads as it gives a nice clear centre line for the elastic thread to run down the middle (total 5 threads to braid). The result is a tidy 'boxy' and stretchy cord which retracts well back up into its shorter looking braid.

It was fun learning these, in France the art is called 'Scoubidou', I learnt the basic few I needed to copy braid original telephone cords (note: never the common three thread hair plait/braid design).