"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Confessions of a phone addict: Kenton k's collection gallery

Started by Kenton K, September 29, 2014, 10:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

WEBellSystemChristian

Aw, thanks! I bought it on ebay (more expensive than I remember; $24), because nobody else seemed to notice it. It had been relisted several times for months, so I decided to pounce on it! The chassis is dated 2-64, which seems pretty early for a 10 button set! I replaced the handset cord with a hardwired one, although I kept the modular handset on (it really looks less obvious than it seems like it would!). It's been almost 2 months since I got it, but I should finish it up so it looks nice on display! I plan on filling the # and * holes on the faceplate and paint it dark grey, like it would have been when it was built.

What is the base on your 1565 dated?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12685.msg133228#msg133228
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

I'm not sure what the original date is as it is covered by a 1975 repo sticker.

On yours, how do you plan on filling the holes?

Kk

poplar1

Quote from: Kenton K on November 18, 2014, 03:17:59 AM

Date on side of network, and probably the dates on ringer and dial, should help determine the date of original manufacture.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

On yours, how do you plan on filling the holes?

Kk
Read this thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12635.0
I used a piece of a Lasertag Membership card (same type of material as a credit card)on the inside of the faceplate to create a backing for the filler. I then used body putty to fill in the holes. After that, I sanded the entire faceplate with an electric sander to smoothen the putty down, and to make the textured surface smooth. I painted it dark grey with Duplicolor Vinyl Paint (works really well on cords that I want to paint Neutral Grey) and then clear coated it.
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

Quote from: poplar1 on November 18, 2014, 08:48:42 AM

Date on side of network, and probably the dates on ringer and dial, should help determine the date of original manufacture.

Yes, but all I have now are seller photos. I'll have to wait till the phone arrives to really dissect the phone.

Based on Christian's phone, I'm guessing the production dated pf the 1565 was around 1964-1968. Is that right?
Kk

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Kenton K on November 18, 2014, 10:40:25 AM
Quote from: poplar1 on November 18, 2014, 08:48:42 AM

Yes, but all I have now are seller photos. I'll have to wait till the phone arrives to really dissect the phone.

Based on Christian's phone, I'm guessing the production dated pf the 1565 was around 1964-1968. Is that right?
Kk
It would have been made between 1963 and 1968, but because of the non-painted base, I would say that it's between 1967 and 1968.
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

Hi!

I just won another red 302! I put in a bid of $200 and was surprised when I won. It'll be another project! Exciting!

www.ebay.com/itm/331387241891

Kenton K

My 2nd soft ivory 500 from 1955! Just a little faded, so I might try the bleach method.  ;D

Best-Kenton

Kenton K

Just finished restoring this moss green 500 set. It was a really nice treat that all dates were matching. The gray cords are interesting though. All dates are 9-56, which seems late for gray cords. I thought matching cords were released in the spring of 56. I guess there were always exceptions.

Ken

Kenton K

I think my computer screen is broken, because i just spent big $$$ on this telephone!!! ::) ::) ::)
Or maybe my glasses are a little old.  8) 8) 8)
I don't have it yet, and I don't really know what color it is.
Any ideas?

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Kenton K on January 01, 2015, 03:12:06 AM
I think my computer screen is broken, because i just spent big $$$ on this telephone!!! ::) ::) ::)
Any ideas?
Looks like red to me..

Ben

Mr. Bones

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 01, 2015, 03:57:06 PM
Quote from: Kenton K on January 01, 2015, 03:12:06 AM
Any ideas?
Looks like red to me.
Ben
Agreed. Looks like red to me, as well, with weird lighting, and/or flash in the auction pic(s)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus