News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Making your own subset?

Started by oyang, October 18, 2015, 08:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oyang

I've gotten a mini-network I had originally planned to use for my WE 202-D1, and also got a mini-ringer for another potential project.  It occurred to me that these two items basically cover the function of a subset. Can these be wired together to make my own external subset? Could this subset be used for the WE 202-D1, or for a WE 151AL?  Thanks!

Otto
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they aren't."

Greg G.

Quote from: oyang on October 18, 2015, 08:42:37 PM
I've gotten a mini-network I had originally planned to use for my WE 202-D1, and also got a mini-ringer for another potential project.  It occurred to me that these two items basically cover the function of a subset. Can these be wired together to make my own external subset? Could this subset be used for the WE 202-D1, or for a WE 151AL?  Thanks!

Otto

I can't answer the question regarding the electronics, but if it's an external subset you want and can't find a genuine vintage subset to use, many folks including myself use the base of a 302 as a subset.  You can even get custom made covers for them.  I have a quantity of 302 bases and covers that I use for gifts for non-collectors.  I gave one to my wife (my avatar) and another to a friend of hers.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Quote from: oyang on October 18, 2015, 08:42:37 PM

Otto

Yes they can.  In fact, one common thing to do is to place an AE mini-network in the base of a 202 (D1) deskset.  The components may certainly be connected together on a separate platform.    As Brinybay mentioned, a 302 works nicely and a cover is available.  Otherwise, you can also assemble the components of a 302 base on a piece of plywood or other suitable base.  The 302 components are the 101A induction coil, 195A condenser and the B1A ringer.  302 bases are pretty easy to come by and make a nice package when using the cover which is available from Ray Kotke on e-Bay.  (kleenax)

-Bill G

G-Man

The A.E. mini-networks are covered in the TCI Library and are often stuffed inside of a deskset or deskstand such as a 202 or perhaps even a 151AL, if you can squeeze it in.

Of course an externally mounted bell would have to be used if the set was not in hearing range of another equipped with a ringer.

oyang

Quote from: G-Man on October 18, 2015, 09:44:13 PM
The A.E. mini-networks are covered in the TCI Library and are often stuffed inside of a deskset or deskstand such as a 202 or perhaps even a 151AL, if you can squeeze it in.

Of course an externally mounted bell would have to be used if the set was not in hearing range of another equipped with a ringer.

Thanks.  I figured this should work.  I guess my more specific question is how these two components would be wired together.

dsk

A traditional subset may be difficult to make, The wiring diagram shows how the transmitter part of the induction coil is splitted into two windings 1-2 and 3-4.  Skipping one of these halfs of the winding may solve it with not to big problems. About any older induction coil may make it easier.
dsk

G-Man

Quote from: oyang on October 19, 2015, 02:55:11 PM

Thanks.  I figured this should work.  I guess my more specific question is how these two components would be wired together.
Yeah, it they could be configured as an external subset with the addition of a capacitor for the bell.

Of course the reason collectors started using mini-networks in the first place was to eliminate bulky external boxes and the accompanying  large number of wires that were needed in the cord.

Otherwise, as phonesrfun has already stated, an inexpensive, fully self-contained, 302 base would suffice.

unbeldi

This AE mini-network is really designed to be used inside a combined telephone set. It is based on the WECo 500 circuit with the divided induction coil and loop compensation by varistors.  As the transmitter is intended to be inserted between the two windings, putting this board into a separate subset box, remote from the desk telephone, presents the need for having extra conductors in the mounting cord to include the switches.  Omitting one half of the divided primary winding of the induction coil would  unfortunately eliminate the automatic loop compensation by the varistor network across the pink and white wires, but it might be possible to cut traces on the board and reconfigure the circuit slightly.

oyang

Thanks; makes sense.  Sounds like the 302 base is the way to go....

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on October 21, 2015, 01:11:27 PM
This AE mini-network is really designed to be used inside a combined telephone set. It is based on the WECo 500 circuit with the divided induction coil and loop compensation by varistors.  As the transmitter is intended to be inserted between the two windings, putting this board into a separate subset box, remote from the desk telephone, presents the need for having extra conductors in the mounting cord to include the switches.  Omitting one half of the divided primary winding of the induction coil would  unfortunately eliminate the automatic loop compensation by the varistor network across the pink and white wires, but it might be possible to cut traces on the board and reconfigure the circuit slightly.

This topic was posted some 7 years ago but recent efforts to put use a mini-network for a subset brought it back up in a search.

IIRC, while candlestick side tone subsets use a 3 conductor mounting cord, anti-side tone subsets use a 4 conductor cord with the extra conductor going from the 4th leaf switch terminal on the candlestick hook switch to the tone balancing terminal (GN) on the 101A induction coil.

As unbeldi stated in 2 replies above,

"As the transmitter is intended to be inserted between the two windings, putting this board into a separate subset box, remote from the desk telephone, presents the need for having extra conductors in the mounting cord to include the switches."

I've always thought of a mini-network as something to be used, to be put into the base of a candlestick or D1 desk set to make it operational (not hot wired or wired with a cheater network). That related to what unbeldi stated above, using a mini-network in an external subset would require more than 4 conductors in the subset mounting cord.

That said, this reply today is to ask if rather than using a mini-network in an external subset (a box with a ringer), wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and simpler to just put a 101A induction coil with talk and ringer capacitors (2 modern caps, a 230 VAC min 0.47 uF for the ringer and say a 1 or 2 uF cap for the talk circuit) into the box with a ringer and use a 4 conductor mounting cord rather than using a mini-network and more than 4 conductor mounting cord.

This is an AE candlestick circuit with the anti-side tone 101A induction coil.

This attached image shows the needed induction coil and 2 capacitors (inside the red boxes) in an external box with the ringer (everything to the right of the blue line) and the candlestick dial, receiver, hook switch and transmitter (yellow boxes) to the left of the blue line. The 4 green circles are the 4 conductor mounting cord.

Since this circuit is basically a WE 302 split in two because it will be used with a candlestick and external subset, the talk circuit should be of as good a quality (if the hook switch has the 4th leaf terminal for anti-side tone) as the 302 (keeping in mind that the transmitter and receiver are not as good as the elements in an F1 handset).

Would using a mini-network add anything, and if so then what, to the quality of the phone if a mini-network were to used instead of the above 101A configuration and wiring diagram?

Also, would the gain in using a mini-network offset the need and wiring hassles for a more than 4 conductor line cord?