"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg/ITT 576

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 26, 2013, 01:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: poplar1 on May 26, 2013, 05:22:21 PM
The 66E block I found had red and green of 3-pair station wire connected to Pair 1 of the 66E, the yellow and black to Pair 4 and the blue and white to Pair 7. That's why I think it was installed for a 3-line set.

AE 87 and 187 (3 line / 3 hold) sets would have the 3 lines on pairs 1, 3 & 5. Lamp leads were a single lead on the Ring side of pairs 2, 4 & 6. 10 VAC was fed into the set on pair 7. Pairs 8 and up depending on the number of pairs in the Amphenol and cord were for misc buzzer cuts etc. These AE sets all had a factory "Sig"(nal) button built in for a button/buzzer application.

I quite often saw these installed without power or lamp leads to function as a simple 3 line pots phone. In the rental days there was an extra monthly charge here for "illumination". So if there was a 3 pair cable in place and no illumination or buzzer circuits were needed, my bet is that it would be working on the 3 pair. Our standard for these phones was 10 pair so little chance tat anyone would have run in a 3 pair for one.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Just for fun, I plugged the phone into a single-line phone jack, and I got a dial tone as was able to dial out when the button labeled "Line 1" was depressed.  When the first hold button was pressed, there was no sound from the receiver, but the line was held.

It looks like other collectors are much more interested in these than I am, so I plan to list the phone on ebay.  I might try to clean off some of the dirt and paint splatters first.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, a friend of mine worked at the Wayne State University police department in the 70's and 80's.  Don't know if they still work closely with the Detroit Police Department but at the time they did.  He visited headquarters many times, including offices and the dispatch area.  I found a similarly dressed Kellogg a while back on eBay (single line).  I refurbished it and gave it to him as a gift.  It had the original Detroit PD dial card in it just like yours. (See attached photos--before & after).  So despite that area being under the influence of Michigan Bell, the police department appears to have used Kellogg phones...at least in that era.   I have another dial card like that that was given to me by a collector.

Looks like a nice find on your end.

~Dennis

LarryInMichigan

Dennis,

Thank you for the info.  Your phone also has the numbers-only bezel, so either both of these phone are legitimate, or someone has been busy sticking Detroit Police cards into Kelloggs.  I expect that the background of my phone with the Detroit police will help it sell.  I hope to list it next week.

Larry

Mr. Bones

Larry, or Dennis,

Would either of you be so kind as to post a high-res pic of the dial card, for posterity? I've not seen these before, and want to add them to the dial card graphics collection.

Thanks, in advance! Have a great day!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

oldphon

I believe the buttons on this set are all original.  I have a green Kellogg 576 that has never been monkeyed with, and it has all clear buttons.  Also, I got lucky, and it has the gas tube common audible ringer module, that was an option.  I believe all the Kellogg 576 sets have all round clear buttons, and the red ones came when they were branded ITT and had the square buttons.

LarryInMichigan

I just listed the phone on ebay: ebay link.  Bid away :)

Larry

HarrySmith

Larry, you are aware that shiny phones sell for more money aren't you?? ???
Also neatness in a picture helps, tie that line cord up nicely!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 03, 2013, 12:55:15 PM
Larry, you are aware that shiny phones sell for more money aren't you?? ???
Also neatness in a picture helps, tie that line cord up nicely!

Yes, I am well aware of that, but I have far too many things to do to give this phone a thorough cleaning and polishing, and the type of person who would be most interested in this is less likely to be willing to pay much more for shine.  I want the phone out of my house.

Larry

HarrySmith

I was joking but you are correct, a Kellogg collector will not be looking for shiny phones.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Mr. Bones

This is my first key set. I'm guessing that Kellogg/ITT was building WE licensed phones by this time. Thus, I am speculating / hoping that the same-era WE pushbuttons would interchange, right?

I'm hoping some of you key set collectors can set me straight on this, so I can try to source some buttons for this 576, both clear, and red.

While I'm tapping such a colossal think-tank, do I need to get a power supply to light the buttons? Just curious...I haven't even opened the box yet, might not have lights.

Thanks in advance, and best regards!

Mr. Bones
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

G-Man

The buttons will interchange between WECo and ITT 56x series of instruments with the same type of keys.

There should be two lamps, a neon for indicating incoming calls and an incandescent for showing that the line is in use.

The incandescents will need a suitable power supply to illuminate them.

I have previously posted the wiring diagrams and schematics for these telephones but I have posted them once more.

Mr. Bones

G-man,

I had previously saved the diagram from earlier in this subject, and I thank you for posting it again.
I am not seeing anything telling me power requirements for the lights, but will try to scare up a BSP for the 56x series WE's.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

G-Man

The incandescent lamps are powered by a type 51A, 10-volt, slide base lamp. However, they can be replaced with lamps of other voltages.

Since Western Electric/Bell System never manufactured or used this type of telephone so there are no Bell System Practices for it.

However,I am going to try to p.m. you with a pdf of the ITT practices for 576/577 3-line key telephones.