News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1959 500 PU "Mushroom phone" for 22 usd.

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 27, 2013, 11:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: jsowers on June 28, 2013, 09:27:06 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 28, 2013, 04:35:50 PM
Thanks Mo, I think these cords are special though. With a retainer clip further away from the ends and 4 colors.

Ben, you are correct. Mo--you need to look for a black 4-conductor line cord. It has four wires, red, green, black and yellow. The mushroom light takes two wires--yellow and black. The phone line takes red and green. The amount of wire inside the phone is much longer on these than a regular 500 mounting cord. The wire has to reach the terminal strip under the dial.

These 4-conductor cords are hard to find. They were also used on 2-line phones. I hope you find one.

Ben, congratulations on getting such a bargain!

Thank you!! I'm really happy with it!

Ben

New England Tel.

A really nice find! And for $22? I'm extremely envious!

Good for you!
-Bob Archambault

WesternElectricBen

WesternElectricBen

ALL RESTORED! Remind me not to buy black phones, they are really hard to remove all the scratches and make it look nice again. I wired up the light and it works perfectly, still don't have a mushroom hood yet though.

Pictures posted below.

I made a really quick dialing out and ring back presentation and will make a longer one later: http://goo.gl/KHBX9

Thanks,
Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 11, 2013, 02:05:50 PM
ALL RESTORED! Remind me not to buy black phones, they are really hard to remove all the scratches and make it look nice again. I wired up the light and it works perfectly, still don't have a mushroom hood yet though.

Pictures posted below.

I made a really quick dialing out and ring back presentation and will make a longer one later: http://goo.gl/KHBX9

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben:

Wow. Nice job! You are getting good! Hopefully you will son find a cap for it! I envy you :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on July 11, 2013, 02:16:02 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 11, 2013, 02:05:50 PM

Pictures posted below.

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben:

Wow. Nice job! You are getting good! Hopefully you will son find a cap for it! I envy you :)

Dave

Thank you Dave, I just cant afford a cap really. The repro I found is 42.00 dollars, currently doesn't fit in the phone parts budget.

Ben

rp2813

I'm curious.  A regular black 500 from 1959 would have a metal OEM finger wheel, wouldn't it?

Did the black 500 P/U models all get plastic finger wheels?

Also, it appears no one has yet offered advice on removing the handset caps.  Heating the caps with a blow dryer followed by a twist with a strap wrench almost always does the trick.
Ralph

jsowers

Quote from: rp2813 on July 17, 2013, 03:15:20 AM
I'm curious.  A regular black 500 from 1959 would have a metal OEM finger wheel, wouldn't it?

Yes, the clear Lucite fingerwheel was standard on a lighted 500 set, be it 500H, 500P or 500U. The clear fingerwheel, when the mushroom cap was present, would light up in the dark. A black metal fingerwheel wouldn't light up nearly as well. A regular black 500 would have a black metal fingerwheel in 1959, though some did get Lucite ones when they were refurbished later.
Jonathan

WesternElectricBen

I just left the handset on the car and opened it up and confirmed that it is also 1959!

I thought the plastic finger wheeles were on black 500s in the late 50s though that would make sence why so many black phones with metal finger wheeles wre made in the 60s.

rp2813

Thanks for the clarification regarding clear finger wheels.  It makes perfect sense.
Ralph

liteamorn

Quote from: jsowers on July 17, 2013, 08:21:36 AM
Quote from: rp2813 on July 17, 2013, 03:15:20 AM

Yes, the clear Lucite fingerwheel was standard on a lighted 500 set, be it 500H, 500P or 500U. The clear fingerwheel, when the mushroom cap was present, would light up in the dark. A black metal fingerwheel wouldn't light up nearly as well. A regular black 500 would have a black metal fingerwheel in 1959, though some did get Lucite ones when they were refurbished later.
My black 5/ 59 p/u also has the soft center clear finger wheel. Mine was a rare find, was reported to have been owned by a 90 year old woman and the phone looked it. Didn't take much to make it shine like new.
If I can ever answer any questions about how it is wired up give me a shout, I'd be happy to.