News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beefier handset.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 16, 2010, 01:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

While restoring my 51-501T I noticed the handset felt different from other 500 style handsets. So I went to measuring the handhold area. It not only looks heftier, it is, by about .060" thicker, and the logo is larger. Was that a standard early handset ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 16, 2010, 01:14:31 PM
While restoring my 51-501T I noticed the handset felt different from other 500 style handsets. So I went to measuring the handhold area. It not only looks heftier, it is, by about .060" thicker, and the logo is larger. Was that a standard early handset ?
D/P

No,  they only used those on the 1948 pre-production models  ;D

now that you mention it, over the years I have noticed that some early bakelite G handsets seemed heftier. I never gave it much thought and attributed it to weight. It wouldn't surprise me if they thinned them down to save material and weight.

Just a guess.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Jim;
Now that you mention it, that 10-50 inside the handset is starting to look more like 10-48.
If you notice the corners where it drops down from the caps into the flat logo area the corners are much more rounded.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Now that you mention it, I can see the curve you mention. You may need to swap handsets on your "famous" set.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Over the years I have "unofficially" noticed that Bell sometimes used older molds.
The 1957 prong handsets are an example of this. I also noticed that older molds seemed to be used (mostly) on the more oddball sets.

The early colored G handsets didn't use prong handsets but some used the flat holder with a "Keeper" piece.

I would think a prong-less handset would always use the pronged holder, but this isn't always the case.

Just a point I thought I should tass out there.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Jim;
The only thing that will replace that handset and shell are the originals..They look too nice on that set.
I power buffed the handset on the 501 I finished Yesterday, and spent a  lot of time on it, with Novus2. It really came out looking good.
D/P