Vintage Cameras

Started by benhutcherson, May 31, 2009, 07:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

This is  my favorite. WEEGEE and his Speed Graphic
Howard
Howard

ReneRondeau

I have been doing wet plate collodion photography for 4 years now (tintypes and ambrotypes). I have several working cameras. My main studio camera is a 1920s Eastman 2D (bottom picture), a gorgeous concoction of mahogany wood and brass. I had a wet-plate conversion back made to fit it, and mounted an original 1874 Dallmeyer lens (Petzval design). I also occasionally use a reproduction 'Lewis' daguerrian-era rosewood quarter-plate camera which has an original 1863 C.C. Harrison lens (top picture). For field work I have a reproduction 5x8 with several lens boards so I can shoot with my Dallmeyer lens, a 'pillbox' Civil War era rapid rectilinear, or a paired set to shoot stereoviews.

I have one original Dallmeyer 'sliding box' quarter-plate camera, made in 1864. That one is too valuable to actually use. But fundamentally any camera itself is essentially just a light-proof box. What matters is the lens. Reproductions are great working cameras as long as you use antique lenses. That said, I love all the bells and whistles on my vintage Eastman, with rise and fall, tilt, etc. I can do some amazing things.

Wet plate is enormously labor-intensive but tremendous fun.

ReneRondeau

Keeping it phone-related, here's a tintype I made a few years ago. Like all tintypes, the image is reversed. There's no negative, the image is a one-off, direct positive.

WesternElectricBen

I have one from the 30's and a Minolta from the 80's or 90's. Though I never had intention to start. I just inherited them.
Ben

zaphod01

These were my father's and date from the 1940's. One is a Universal Camera - Mercury II (half frame) and the other is an Argus Anastigmat. Both have the original cases. (I hope I successfully added the images)

I thought about putting them on eBay but I really want them to go to a good home.

I'd trade them both for a correct dialer for my 1951 Model 500 (black). Would have to have a nice metal dial wheel.

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Mr. Bones

I grew up using Brownie cameras, old bakelite flashes, etc., but, unfortunately haven't got them now.

Still have the '86 Canon A-1 w/50mm lens that I bought whilst still a novitiate in the Seabees...

The only 'vintage' camera I still have is my Da's just-post-WWII Kodak Medalist; quite the box, I must say... ;)

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

MDK

How about a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 533/16:

This is really the only "vintage" camera I own, but I felt it was worth showing off.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: MDK on February 05, 2013, 04:26:19 PM
How about a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 533/16:

This is really the only "vintage" camera I own, but I felt it was worth showing off.
MDK,

Thank you for sharing! What a gorgeous camera you have there!

I dug out my A-1 Canon, haven't found which box the Medalist is in, but I will post pics soon.

Best regards, and have a great evening!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

cchaven

I've been shooting 35mm just for my own pleasure since about 1980..my first 'real' camera being a Hannimex-Praktica Super TL I got from my father.  Before that, it had been 110 and 126 pocket cameras.  I still have that Hannimex, but upgraded to a Canon A-1 in 1989.  I've got quite a few folding 120 format cameras and a few TLR's, both 120 and 127.  For 35mm, I have a number of Nikon and Canon SLR's, of which the Canon F-1 is my favorite...built like a tank and nearly indestructable, as well as a few 35mm rangefinders.  I've also dabbled in large format, with a couple of Anniversary Speed Graphics and various lenses but so far have only shot 120 with them.

My current interest is using a Panasonic Lumix G2 with all of the excellent old galss I have since you can get an adapter for nearly any mount you want to use with it, including Zeiss Contax RF lenses.

Jeff

MDK

My latest, a Brownie Reflex. 127 film for this seems to be VERY scarce.

I found 120 film to fit my Ikonta and a place that can develop it. Hopefully my first roll will be a success.