News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Magneto to dial conversion

Started by FABphones, June 18, 2018, 06:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This isn't something I have considered so it is a bit of a gap in my knowledge.

Has anyone ever swapped out a magneto and replaced it with a dial?

I have a phone with a magneto 'crank' on the front where a dial would be. I have the correct dial for the phone, and it was suggested to me that I could swap it out for the dial. I'm not sure I'd want to, and I'm thinking one would need a complete doner phone, but am now curious. I thought I read someplace it wasn't straightforward.

I was unsuccessful bidding for my phones rotary twin (very hard to find - am so disappointed)! And that's how the subject came up.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

The purist answer would be "don't", even if you can't find a matching phone, another magneto phone would still work with this one, so you could set up a demonstration of the two and how they work... :)

But if you do, then it's a good idea to take a look at the appropriate wiring diagrams and follow the wiring for a Central Battery dial version... :)

Key2871

Agreed, that with the Mag crank in the center is far more rare than dial.
I would leave it as it is...
KEN

stub

FabPhones,
                If your phone is a Leich ( like) 901 magneto you can change it to CB with this diagram. This would be a good reason to buy 8) two more phones 8) , to have all the  examples , dial CB , non-dial CB and magneto ! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

rdelius

the Leich woll need a dial bracket and gasket .Not the easiest parts to find

stub

rdelius,
            Your right ,I forgot about that. Here's the pics. Yes , the parts are hard to find. Mine came from a friend , and I don't know if he has any more . He will read this and let you know.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

Sonny had about 20 of these CB dial sets with 20~ ringers. I don't know if there are any left.

The current owner of the Candler Warehouse complex, who in 1996 paid $1.6 million for 1 million square feet of warehouses, just sold it for $50 million. So, all of us are trying to get Sonny to give up his warehouse before another rent increase. If anyone wants anything, now is the time to ask!

Read: helpers needed and bring a truck!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

Have no issues with converting those sets  factory modifcation and parts. plenty of magnito examples out there

FABphones

I do prefer to keep my phones as original as poss, so won't be swapping this out but am glad to have a bit of knowledge about it, thanks all. The one I have has some aging to the metal by the handle, just cosmetic, is there a good way to tidy it up? I don't really want to replate and make it look like new but a bit of attention wouldn't go amiss.

Am still kicking myself for losing the auction, I knew the phone is, dare I say the word, somewhat rare.  But, that's how it goes. I'm going to have to wait for another to turn up but this particular model is sooooo hard to find, they only made it for a couple of years. I'll reveal more if/when I find another. Could be a long wait tho...

Dial mount/bracket, thanks for the reminder, am chasing one up today, I've found a seller with a few but they might not want to part with just one, I've asked, so we shall see.

Thanks again.

poplar1

Is your phone a Leich 901? (Photos? Markings?)

I found the black rubber dial adapter in Sonny's warehouse today, but so far not the metal bracket.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

Quote from: poplar1 on June 19, 2018, 02:33:48 PM
Is your phone a Leich 901? (Photos? Markings?).....

Thank you, but it is not a Leich 901.  ;)

Thanks for popping those photos up, very interesting.  :)