News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

3 Interesting(?) Items at an Antique Store (AE Type F?)

Started by Nick in Manitou, December 26, 2017, 12:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Kathi and I were out for a 3 day pre-holiday jaunt in our new state of Arizona.

We stopped at a few antique places and didn't see much of interest...but one place got me to take a few pictures.

There is one phone pictured below that has my interest and I would like some suggestions on. It appears to me to be an AE Type F Navy phone.  They have a price of $150 on it. It doesn't look like brass at all, but perhaps it was painted when in use? I have only found one that sold on eBay and it went for $395 all brassed out.

I hesitated when I was at the shop and didn't want to spend money without doing more research...but now I am several hours away from the shop!

What would be a reasonable price to pay for one of these in "as found" condition...I have no idea what condition it is in other than a quick look at the outside of the phone.

Another item at the shop was a 5 cent "Bally Fun-Phone" where one could pay to hear Bozo tell stories.  I didn't think there would be much interest here as far as anyone wanting to purchase the thing, but that folks might be interested in seeing it.

The final item was a phone booth with a Lincoln Telephone & Telegraph Company sign on the glass of the door. They want $2400 for the booth and there is no phone in it! 

Any feedback on the AE Type F (if that is what it is) would be appreciated.

(All my photos came out sideways again...had to correct that!)

Nick

Nick in Manitou

Well, I decided to call the antique shop where I saw the Ship's Phone and go ahead and purchase it.

I called and the result is that I have purchased the phone for $120 + tax.  They are going to find out what it will cost to have it shipped to our place and call me with that figure.

I probably won't receive the phone for more than a week as the person won't get it to UPS for 2 or 3 days.

If anyone is familiar with these phones, I have a question for you. Usually we request that a seller ships the phone with the handset not in the cradle...but the latching system on this phone seems to be pretty secure and the phone is quite heavy...would it be best to ensure that the complete unit is padded enough and leave the handset securely captured in the latch system?

Thanks,
Nick

LarryInMichigan

I might be a bit concerned that the handset will be bumped around in the cradle during shipment and be scratched, but it looks like the bakelite is already in very rough condition, so it probably won't matter.  If that is a standard type 41 handset, replacing it shouldn't be difficult.

It seems a bit ironic to me having a ship's phone in Arizona, though I recall centuries ago when I was in college and interviewing for a job.  A recruiter from a company in AZ brought with him brochures showing lakes in AZ and explained to interviewees that Arizona residents had a very high rate of boat ownership.  I doubt that there are many Navy ships there though.

Larry

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for your thoughts on shipping, Larry. If I were packing it, I might try to put something non-scratchy between the phone and the cradle, but the bakelite does already look pretty rough so I may just ask them to focus on padding the whole thing enough to get it here in one piece and worry about the finish on the handset later.

I agree, it probably was not a local navy ship!  I do wonder how this sort of thing ends up in the hands of an individual...where the last owner obtained it...did someone purchase the salvage rights to a whole ship and this was one of the items that was removed and resold rather than being scrapped for the value of the materials? Who knows...I might open it up and figure that it was retrieved by a diver after many years of being submerged!

Nick

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on December 26, 2017, 08:19:40 PM
I agree, it probably was not a local navy ship!  I do wonder how this sort of thing ends up in the hands of an individual...where the last owner obtained it...did someone purchase the salvage rights to a whole ship and this was one of the items that was removed and resold rather than being scrapped for the value of the materials? Who knows...I might open it up and figure that it was retrieved by a diver after many years of being submerged!

Nick

Steve Hilsz (http://navysalvage.com/) is in Arizona and actually does that.  It could be that the phone you are buying was salvaged by him.

Larry

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for reminding me that Steve is in the business.  I have not communicated with him for several years, but I bet there will be a few things I need his help on!

I am looking forward to receiving this phone and finding out what it is that I have purchased. I really only gave it a quick glance and passed it by...I am trying to lessen my load of "stuff", not to add to it!  But after I got home, I couldn't help but think about it and wish that I had at least looked more closely.

We will see what condition it is in when it finally arrives.

In the mean time I am reading whatever I can find about Navy phones here on the forum!

19and41

Looks like you got your $120 worth there.  Good find!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 26, 2017, 08:46:43 PM
Steve Hilsz (http://navysalvage.com/) is in Arizona and actually does that.  It could be that the phone you are buying was salvaged by him.
Larry

Not the diving part....salvaging above the water line! At least, as far as I know!

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 27, 2017, 02:29:43 PM
Not the diving part....salvaging above the water line! At least, as far as I know!

Terry

I am sure that many of the phones he has salvaged came from below the water line, but on the inside of the ship.  Phones mounted on the outside of the ship below the water line would not likely be especially useful.  It would be interesting to see pictures of some of them though :).

Larry

AE_Collector

Nothing to do with Steve or this topic really but "all about" navy phones below the water line as well as your avatar and mine!

From a documentary going through one of the ships at Honolulu, presumably Arizona. Pictures taken of TV screen with iPad. I think there was discussion about these on CRPF previously. Will move there if I can find it.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Very interesting.  The condition of that phone is like some of the ones I have seen for sale on ebay.  I have had spiders crawl out of some of the phones I have restored, but never crabs :D

Larry

Nick in Manitou