News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 510 3/54

Started by Doug Rose, September 12, 2010, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Collectors...Janet went to a flea market this morning and came with a lot of goodies. This appears to be up your alley. A WE 510 dated 3/54. Dates mostly match except the shell is date 53 as is the retainer on the handset cord. Three wires are loose from the handset, I need help knowing where they go. This is in really outstanding condition. I do not collect 500 sets, so if anyone is interested before next Sunday, let me know....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

more pics
Kidphone

paul-f

Outstanding find!

Readers of the April 2009 Singing Wires will quickly identify this as a very early 510 set.  If you don't already have one, it's worth a close look.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

Great phone, Doug.  You did it once again (find a great phone).

If the handset wires are not connected at the network, connect them as follows:

Red and (either) White together on Terminal "R"

Black wire next to it on Terminal "B"

Remaining White next to that one on Terminal GN.

~Dennis

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 12, 2010, 12:03:15 PM
Great phone, Doug.  You did it once again (find a great phone).

If the handset wires are not connected at the network, connect them as follows:

Red and (either) White together on Terminal "R"

Black wire next to it on Terminal "B"

Remaining White next to that one on Terminal GN.

~Dennis
Hey Dennis....thanks, but it was my better half, I was Listing on eBay this morning while Jan got up at 4:45 AM to drive to New Hampshire. She came home with 10 telephones!!! She does have a knack for this. Didn't even bother to call because the 500 set was ALMOST as old as I am, missed by four months.

Dennis....Thanks II....I now have a working phone, dials out, receives calls with a LOUD ring and NO static, clear conversation....You are the best....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, you're welcome.  Is that 510 destined for eBay?

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 12, 2010, 12:41:46 PM
Doug, you're welcome.  Is that 510 destined for eBay?
Unless someone makes me an offer I cannot refuse, it will be on eBay next Sunday.....thanks again....Doug
Kidphone

Tom B

Wow Doug
Nice phone - I'd make an offer but I have too many black 50's phones!!
Tom

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Kenny...I only has one line. It worked fine on the one line and when I put it on the second line there was nothing. I am "assuming" it works on both. I will post it on eBay on Sunday....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Okay guys...set me straight. I thought this might be a desirable 500 and Paul F mentioned it was an early 510 that was showcased in Singing Wires. I have had it on eBay 1/2 dozen times and today couldn't give it away for $40. Where did I go wrong on this? A few in the Forum offered me a lot more than today's not met selling price. I'm not a 500 guy and more knowledge on these are very low, but a fully dated 3/54 2 line phone in very good shape should get at least $40. Just curious and a value your input. I can take criticism..thanks....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

Do you have a link to the ended auction, Doug?
= DARRIN =

HarrySmith

WOW, I am shocked it did not sell at that price :o I peruse phones on ebay almost every day and did not see your auction. Maybe it did not get enough attention? Ebay can be very fickle. I have had one of my Sea Foam Green AE 90's listed for months with no interest. The first one I listed sold in no time. I already have a couple of older 2 line 500's awaiting restoration so I do not need another plus I am not allowed to buy phones right now since I bought the phone truck ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bingster

Well, you've got all the right photos there, Doug.  With those and a good description, I'm not sure why it didn't sell.  The only thing I could suggest is to give it a good bath and maybe a light polish.  But even as it is, I'd think it should have had a fair amount of interest. 

Maybe you should add "Rare Art Deco Eames Mid Century LQQK! ;)
= DARRIN =