"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

717 w/vintage dial?

Started by CanadianGuy, February 22, 2016, 10:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanadianGuy

Well, I *had* it all typed out...

Saw this today. Sorry, still clueless as to models. May never learn haha. This guy collects fire extinguishers, but he says he got this phone for $80. He took my number in case he comes across any phones. Not that I collect, or have extra money to buy any. But maybe I can hook you guys up, no pun intended :)

Thanks!

unbeldi

Looks nice.   An  N717AP did come with a No 6A dial after 1955 (?) or so—I am not sure when NE started to make No. 6 dials—and these were still made new in the 1950s.

CanadianGuy

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I thought it looked exceptionally nice, too. I'm assuming the 58 means 1958? I guess it's not that old then, relatively speaking, in regards to wood phones. I've seen a bunch of cobbled together, fake, or modified wood phones. I think I previously posted pics of some at the museum in Botwood, NL that even I could tell were modified or fakes.

rbouch

Wow,

I think that's a beautiful phone.  There's collector up in Ottawa who told me about these, apparently he always looking for them.

Can you post a picture of the whole phone from further back?

Jack Ryan

NE didn't make metal wall phones like the WE 333 and 553 - it continued to make wooden cased phones instead based on the 293A. Most Commonwealth countries made wood wall phones until they were replaced by Bakelite or another plastic.

The N717AP won't work on a normal phone line - it uses simplex dialling and is intended for party line use.

Jack

poplar1

NE Catalog T-8 (1955) shows 5H dials and 150B # plates --no 6As listed.  Also shows 5-type dials (5H) for the N717AP for simplex dialing on party lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Types 6, 7 & 8 dials are shown in the T-9 catalogue - I have nothing in between. The N717 is not shown in T-9, it was replaced by a variant of the 554.

Jack

unbeldi

Well, the uncertainty that I quoted is only about one year.
I have a NE 6A dated 9-56.

PS: and I know that T-8 is not lying, because I also have a NE 5H dated 6-6-55.  So that leaves an uncertainty of 15 months.  It's possible of course that they had them earlier, but didn't sell them through the catalog.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on February 23, 2016, 08:02:05 PM
Well, the uncertainty that I quoted is only about one year.
I have a NE 6A dated 9-56.

PS: and I know that T-8 is not lying, because I also have a NE 5H dated 6-6-55.  So that leaves an uncertainty of 15 months.

Thanks for that - I don't have enough information to be that accurate.

By the way, I wonder what happened to the magneto. Has the phone been "converted"?

Jack

poplar1

Here is another 1717 with dial. The original network has been replaced with an Automatic Electric network. The dial may have been added at that time, but the crescent shaped metal pieces were apparently already furnished (?).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Northern-Electric-Wall-Phone-/372040120188
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.