and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Ads

Started by JorgeAmely, July 30, 2010, 12:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Russ Kirk

A few of those ads were recently on The Jay Leno show last Monday.

Some of them are sooo wrong!
But funny!

Russ....

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Kenny C

its amazing they only foucused on men alot back then "thats what wifes are for" lets see someone say that today without a riot
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bwanna

i buy alot of vintage magazines & read them. the ads & articles are unbelievable by today's standards.

i am here to tell you, tho, sexism is still alive & well. a perfect example is was today at work. another tech & i were working together on a large job. i was the lead tech, he was the helper. i had called the customer prior to arrival. when we got to her office i made the introductions & began to discuss the work to done. she looked at me when i was talking, then would turn & address her comments to my male co-worker. he, in turn, looked at me for the answer. very, very annoying. >:(
donna

Dennis Markham

Donna, that is still very common in police work too.  Often (especially in my later years sporting gray hair) I would show up on a call in progress with a female officer.  Even though that officer had things under control and handling whatever the problem---and we had even rank, attention would focus to the old guy and questions/answers would be directed towards me.  I would just tell them to direct their comments to officer X who was in charge of the incident.

There might have been an occasion or two when the female officer would be referred to as the Lieutenant.  My fellow officers and I would tell the people (usually the problem person begging not to be arrested) that they'd have to speak with the Lieutenant and point to said female officer.

Russ Kirk

Quote from: bwanna on July 30, 2010, 10:15:32 PM
i buy alot of vintage magazines & read them. the ads & articles are unbelievable by today's standards.

i am here to tell you, tho, sexism is still alive & well. a perfect example is was today at work. another tech & i were working together on a large job. i was the lead tech, he was the helper. i had called the customer prior to arrival. when we got to her office i made the introductions & began to discuss the work to done. she looked at me when i was talking, then would turn & address her comments to my male co-worker. he, in turn, looked at me for the answer. very, very annoying. >:(

Gosh Bwanna,

That would burn my hide.  I bet that hurt.

Hope you let it roll off.  Not everyone - nor all males - are like that.

When I went into Cable Maintenance,  the female techs were the hardest working bunch.  Guess they kindda had to prove it and keep proving it. I gave them greatest respect.  In fact they took offense to me opening doors for them.  I was not a chauvinist,  just that was the way I was raised.  It was a very fine line between treating like like a female and treating them like an equal. not always easy for some men.  Like I said,  they were the best - they had to be to survive and still be respected.  

Russ....

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI