News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Swirled white/black housing on a 500?

Started by McHeath, September 27, 2008, 12:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

I found  some photos from after I changed the guts.

I have tried a red/white swirled handset on it. Both with a black dial and a red dial. I think the black handset /black dial  looks best. 
However, I would like to try your handset, with a black and a green dial, just to see.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Since this is becoming a swirled telephone topic, Here is a link for a WE  orange/ white swirled 500. Dave F. is the owner.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1896.msg111220#msg111220
You live, You learn,

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 05, 2018, 06:10:23 PM
Your handset looks quite nice. I would like to see it on my set as well. I don't suppose you are offering to sell it to me. :)

Ha Ha, I was kind of thinking the other way around. :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Duffy on December 05, 2018, 07:14:30 PM
Ha Ha, I was kind of thinking the other way around. :)
That thought never crossed my mind :)
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Here are a couple of swiirlee princess style phones.
The pink/White is WE. This is an example of a phone made when they were changing colors.
Someone tried notching it, On older sets the notching process will split the plastic a little or break out a larger piece like happened on this set. I have never tried fixing it (yet).

The multi- color pink is a generic unmarked  housing. It does not have a finger stop cutout. This is an example made from cleaning the tubes.
It came with a beige handset. I now have a faded pink handset on it. The handset looks "right" on the set.
Does anyone know who made the housing.
Years ago a collector was offering 2-3 multi color swirl WE princess sets. I couldn't afford the $1,500+ asking price.
Jim
You live, You learn,

kleenax

Here's one that I made where the collector said that he wanted me to cast a color "that you could never duplicate again!"

I think he was RIGHT!  ;-)  I wouldn't ever even want to try this again, but I was kind of "clearing the tubes on this one!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Doug Rose

Ray...that is beautiful!  Your work is top notch.  I am the proud owner of a Kotke clear 302
Kidphone

kleenax

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 06, 2018, 09:46:41 AM
Ray...that is beautiful!  Your work is top notch.  I am the proud owner of a Kotke clear 302
Many thanks sir!  You know, I started all of the casting stuff in about 2003, and I STILL cannot believe some of the stuff that I have created! And NOBODY has mentioned my "new" avatar photo yet ;-)  Jurassic Park cane-top; I made it!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Jim Stettler

Quote from: kleenax on December 06, 2018, 07:18:35 PM
NOBODY has mentioned my "new" avatar photo yet ;-)  Jurassic Park cane-top; I made it!
I think your best avatar was when you used this swirl phone for an avatar.
The cane top is cool, Maybe you could make an amber housing with a bug in it. That would be interesting.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

If your taking orders Ray, I'm looking for a pair of clear caps for one of your F1 samples. :)

kleenax

Quote from: Duffy on December 06, 2018, 08:08:06 PM
If your taking orders Ray, I'm looking for a pair of clear caps for one of your F1 samples. :)
Oh yea! That's the one with no wires in it.  Let me see if I already have some made.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

RotarDad

I really like the swirl plastics, as they show how the plastic fills the mold.  On a regular 500 shell you can often see a faint vertical line in the plastic at the front.  This is where the liquid plastic in the mold meets in the middle in the front.  On your swirl shell, Jim, there is a nice demarcation in the front (just below the "T" on the dial) where mostly-black plastic meets mostly-white.  I guess this shows I've polished way too many 500s..... 😎
Paul

HarrySmith

Quote from: Duffy on December 06, 2018, 08:08:06 PM

Old Phone Works just listed a pair of clear F1 caps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113431299851
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 07, 2018, 12:45:37 PM
Old Phone Works just listed a pair of clear F1 caps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113431299851

Thanks Harry,

They had them listed before. The price of shipping to Canada made didn't make it fleasible, a long with the exchange on the dollar.

My friend just went to North Carolina for the next eight weeks, maybe I'll check into having them shipped there for some savings on the shipping.