"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Transmitter Cups

Started by Sargeguy, August 13, 2011, 02:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

Doug

The diaphragm is missing.  You can see the remaining piece of it under the nuts.  The round part under the nuts is the bottom of the carbon module.

Dennis

Sargeguy

OK, I see it now.  A lot of times D-1s have similar numbers
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

MoreCowbell

Quote from: G-Man on November 09, 2012, 02:01:56 PM

From the TCI Library.....

Standard List Price

Code No.                       Descrlptlon                               Finish    Each

1020-SC      For regular local battery bridging or            Black       6.90
                   central battery service.
                   lncludes:   1 No. 229-W transmitter, 1
                   No. 122-W receiver, l  No. 392 cords
                   Thls stand is the same as the No.
                   1020-BC except the finish.

1020-BC   For regular local battery bridging or               Nickel      $6.90
                  central battery service.                                  Plate
                  Includes :   1 No. 229 W transmitter, 1
                  No. 122-W receiver , 1 No. 392 cord.
                  This may be used with a No. 7 type
                  coin collector on single party llnes,
                  or on party lines when code ringing
                  is employed.

Thanks G-Man!  That definitely clears it up for me.  So I guess my 20-SC is basically a 20-B without the nice nickel finish.  I like the nickel a lot better but I got it from free so I really can't complain.   :)

Sargeguy

Not quite, it is the same as a 20-BC.  A 20-B is an earlier model with a different perch and switch plate, but they are electronically the same:

20-B – For regular local battery bridging or central battery service – Nickel plate
            Includes:          1 – No. 20-B desk stand
                                    1 – No.  229-W transmitter
                                    1 – No. 122-W receiver
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Here is a cup I haven't seen before: it has dates from 1876 to 1881. Using the 17-year time frame for patents, would that mean it was made before March 1893? It is on a 20-B (patent date 1904), but may have been a recycled cup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271117069598
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dencins

Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2012, 01:33:02 AM
Here is a cup I haven't seen before: it has dates from 1876 to 1881. Using the 17-year time frame for patents, would that mean it was made before March 1893? It is on a 20-B (patent date 1904), but may have been a recycled cup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271117069598

I just plated one of these cups last week for a collector.  Now I wish I had taken a picture.  It had a beveled edge *229* transmitter, a three piece lug and a mounting bolt with a knurled nut.  The three pieces of the lug are rivetted together.

I had the same thought about the date when I saw it - made sometime between 1881 and 1893.  I do not know what phone it was off but based on some of the other parts, it may have been a wood wall phone.

Dennis Hallworth

poplar1

Dennis, did the cup you plated have a hole for the single wire to enter?

The hole in the picture is in a different position than later cups. I wonder if it the hole is original since so much has been changed on this phone (lamp finial, 337 transmitter, American Electric baseplate, fake receiver).

dencins

Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2012, 12:35:53 PM

The hole in the picture is in a different position than later cups. I wonder if it the hole is original since so much has been changed on this phone (lamp finial, 337 transmitter, American Electric baseplate, fake receiver).
Yes it had the hole.  I believe it was in the same location relative to the lettering.  The way the lug is constructed there would be no other way to feed a wire into the cup without a hole.

Dennis Hallworth

dencins

Quote from: dencins on December 09, 2012, 02:47:44 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2012, 12:35:53 PM

Yes it had the hole.  I believe it was in the same location relative to the lettering.  The way the lug is constructed there would be no other way to feed a wire into the cup without a hole.

Dennis Hallworth
Just to clarify what I meant by "no way to feed a wire", the cup only had the three round holes for the screws to mount the lug.  There was no hole in the center like on other cups to feed the wire into the cup.

Dennis Hallworth

Sargeguy

I have seen older cups similar to this with larger patent dates, never dates this small.  The older versions have the dates on the outside and "American Bell Telephone" is inside, later ones are opposite.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Here are all the dates on the cup I posted above. March 7, 1876 is the date of Bell's first patent

MAR 7 76  JAN 30 77  JAN 15 78 RE   DEC 14 80   SEP 30 79  AUG 2 81  AUG 30 81
NOV 29 81 DEC 6 81

In the photo, The part that the cup is screwed to is upside down.

The cup has no slot but it does have a hole in the center. This hole is not used on this phone.

wds

Here's a cup that is slightly different than the ones you have posted.  Single patent date of Nov 1 92, with the hole and grommet for the wire.  
Dave

Sargeguy

It's the non-ABT version of this one.  I'll add it to the list.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409