News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

202 looks different inside, won't transmit

Started by Jack Aman, April 08, 2014, 04:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Aman

This clean-looking 202 was sold as "working" and came with an old four-prong plug attached.  I replaced that for modular, wiring it as it had been and the phone receives, but does not transmit.  Two questions...can this phone work without a subset?  And, the connections look different on the dial than the 101/201 diagrams I have seen.  I will try to attach a photo.  Thanks so much for any assistance to a newbie!

rdelius

It will not work as wired.Use the diagrams on the forums.Would be nice to find a subset for it to make it better

Greg G.

Quote from: Jack Aman on April 08, 2014, 04:57:02 PM
This clean-looking 202 was sold as "working" and came with an old four-prong plug attached.  ...

...can this phone work without a subset? 

Yes, but not recommended.  If you're patient, you can find a good vintage subset for it, or, you can use a base from a 302 phone as a subset and get a customized cover for it.  Poplar1 has some 302 bases, Ray Kotke of TelephoneCreations.com has the covers.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jack Aman on April 08, 2014, 04:57:02 PM
This clean-looking 202 was sold as "working" and came with an old prong plug attached.  I replaced that for modular, wiring it as it had been and the phone receives, but does not transmit.  Two questions...can this phone work without a subset?  And, the connections look different on the dial than the 101/201 diagrams I have seen.  I will try to attach a photo.  Thanks so much for any assistance to a newbie!
The white lead from the handset is shorting on the metal base of the phone. The yellow wire (line cord) should be paired with the green wire inside the four prong. It should work with those changes. You can get a 4 prong adapter on ebay or stores like radio shack.

Any modular cord will wire the same to where the green and the red are, no other wires are needed from the modular cord. Just jump an additional wire where the yellow wire is connected  to where the green is connected for voice transmission.

WARNING! Wiring like this is frowned on by the purists. BEWARE: Phone will NOT ring and you could hear clicking when dialing. I am new at this so take your chances. Subsets are handy. I learned that last week.

Enjoy your phone. Its a hobby...its supposed to be fun.....Kidphonerebelwithoutasubset
Kidphone