"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NEW TALENTS, NEW IDEAS; Scaled-Down Equipment for A Home Office

Started by HELLO CENTRAL, December 12, 2008, 02:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HELLO CENTRAL

NEW TALENTS, NEW IDEAS; Scaled-Down Equipment for A Home Office
Read the headline in the NEW YORK TIMES story  By MYRON BERGER; MYRON BERGER IS A WRITER SPECIALIZING IN NEW TECHNOLOGY FOR THE HOME.
Published: October 18, 1987

Quote:  . . .If American homes undergo a radical change in the coming decades, it will almost certainly be the addition of a new room or area: an office. In fact, according to several government and industry estimates, some 10 to 20 million workers have already moved home. Although their offices' design may become of increasing concern, current considerations involve the selection of telephones, computers, copiers and other instruments of commerce.

In telephones, many of the functions desirable in a home office system are available in either of two forms: built into the equipment you buy or performed by a local telephone company as a billable service. Among these options are call forwarding (having calls rerouted to a second number), speed dialing (one- or two-button dialing of commonly called numbers) and conference calling. According to Peter J. Sparano, an official of the New York State Public Service Commission, high-quality home equipment and a telephone company's service are about equally reliable. However, Panasonic's VA-8400 telephone (suggested retail $94.95), which offers conference calling and one-button dialing of 32 telephone numbers, and Radio Shack's Duofone CFS-200 call-forwarding system (about $99.95), which requires two telephone lines, are both less costly than paying a monthly charge.

Which was my second old/new tech purchase today!  Brand new in the box, for $7.00.  Soon to be on display in my messium (That's what I call my collection! :D ;D 8)

So, the things we take for granted today were. . .

Walt S
HELLO CENTRAL.

McHeath

Funny how I have a "home office" area and have for many years seen that as a normal part of my homes.  Not that I work out of the home, being a teacher and all, but it has always been a handy area to muck about in.  And of course it has two landline phones.

HELLO CENTRAL

HELLO CENTRAL.