News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg PYRAMID Telephone with Dial

Started by Pourme, November 03, 2016, 05:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I didn't comment about this phone because I didn't want to spoil the auction for the buyer.

http://tinyurl.com/jzpv6ss

Being a newby I didn't realize the pyramid phone was made with a dial, I thought they were exclusively a non dial phone. Is this indeed rare? Is this ($145.00) about what one would expect to pay for one of these. Only one bid, no compitition. It really is a striking looking phone.

A new one for my want list!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Phoneco added dial. These phones did NOT come with a dial......$145 is a tough lesson....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Thanks, Doug.

I don't have the depth of knowledge to know this. I knew that I had never seen one of these before. But if they were indeed rare why was there no competition to own it?

That clears that up!

Just erased it from my "want" list.

Benny
Benny

TelePlay

That dial would look great on my 925 Ashtray. But not for $145.

Pourme

Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 03, 2016, 05:56:24 PM
Phoneco added dial. These phones did NOT come with a dial......

How did they do that? Looks like they used one of the "switchboard" type housing mounts. Why did they do that?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262697967709

EDIT:  This is not the topic's subject phone, this is a non-dial phone also on eBay shown here for comparison to the topic's subject phone, the phone with the dial attached. The non-dial picture, eBay screen capture and link are to another auction unrelated to this topic but posted here from comparison with the dial phone, middle image.

wds

Since this phone was designed not to have a dial, I would be interested in seeing how they wired the dial to the network.  Anyone have a picture of the inside of one of those phones?
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on November 04, 2016, 09:06:30 AM
Since this phone was designed not to have a dial, I would be interested in seeing how they wired the dial to the network.  Anyone have a picture of the inside of one of those phones?

[PS: Sorry, I looked at the wrong auction pictures for this statement, the dial instrument doesn't have a model number stamped on the bottom, at least not in view. It does appear to contain an original ringer. So, if it is still has an original common battery induction coil, ...] The 900-LRX was a common battery extension telephone set (without ringer), so it would be very simple to add a dial from the electrical point of view if it still has its original induction coil.  But quite often, I think, these are found with mini-networks installed, even handset transducers replaced with T1 and U1.

The use of a Select-O-Phone number card should caution most very blatantly, as most dials used for SOP are of the make-contact type, and don't work on POTS lines.

wds

Agreed, but I would still like to see a picture.  I think Doug had/has one of theses - maybe he could share a picture?  I've seen a lot of these types of conversions where the dial was merely cosmetic and not wired in at all.
Dave

Doug Rose

I do have one that I have been meaning to clean up and test. I got it really cheap and have been sitting on it. My youngest daughter is getting married on Sunday and I have a house full of out of state relatives. I will get pic as soon as I can....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Looking at the phone, it jogged my memory. When I said I got it cheap...it was really cheap. We were at a yard sale and I asked "do you have any old phones?"  Yes, purchased on eBay years ago .....BUT it doesn't work and its in the trash. I don't think it is that old. The horror!! It was in a dumpster next to the house they were cleaning out. Not sure if it was their home or parents

Of I course, I went for it. It was undamaged, but really dirty like it had been in the basement or garage a loooong time. I never opened it until this morning. What a shame to ruin a classic beauty like this. Still, there is something about it that I can't make myself get rid of it. It still sits in my collection....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Black on black is so hard to read. Looks like they did cut a large hole for the dial mount. What's the purpose of that corrugated cardboard stuff? Holding something in or up or just protection or both?

unbeldi

I bet the cardboard is holding a mini-network on the inside.

Doug Rose

Mini network is correct. Just ruined a beautiful phone, but it does display well....Doug
Kidphone