DIE-YET COKE?!

Started by Jester, January 10, 2010, 12:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Excellent display of machines.

-Bill
-Bill G

Jester

Very nice display, Dan--I love the old signage.  Here's a few more shots.

1)  The only old sign I own is this store thermometer, dated 1932 on the back.

2)  My collection of Biedenharn Candy Co. bottles.  The story goes that a very young Joseph Biedenharn decided to mix Coca-Cola & bottle it for a July 4 picnic, & it became popular enough that he asked Asa Candler, the president of Coca-Cola Co., for permission to bottle the product regularly.  He is credited as being the drink's first authorized bottler.

3)  A mixture of straight walls from both hand detailed & machined castings.  There are two from Louisiana & two from Peoria, Illinois.

4)  This shot includes a bottle from Birminham, AL , a syrup testing bottle, & a straight wall from Charleston, SC.
Stephen

Greg G.

Quote from: Jester on January 11, 2010, 12:48:37 AM
Ben,
You are correct in pointing out that cane sugar does change the taste of things in comparison to other sugars.  The container also can change this, too.  Fortunately, you are too young to remember summer of 1985--when "New Coke" debuted.  Everybody's STILL wondering how Coca-Cola Co. escaped filing bankruptsy after that fiasco!!

Too bad somebody can't use the REAL original Coke recipe that was made with cocaine!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Great bottles Stephen. The old Hillbilly Mountain Dew bottles are going for $15 each. I can't believe how many of those I could've had.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on January 12, 2010, 07:58:27 PM
Great bottles Stephen. The old Hillbilly Mountain Dew bottles are going for $15 each. I can't believe how many of those I could've had.

"Yaa-Hoo, Mountain Dew"

Technically, " I'm a Pepper"

Dallas bottling makes the best Dr. Pepper. It still tastes right. After reading some of these postings, I suspect that the Dallas Authority  bottles it for the border market.

I first tried Dr. Pepper was in the Summer of 1968 at the Black Forest Glider Port , Colorado Springs,, CO

The glider port was quite an experence to a 6 year old, and so was Dr. Pepper.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jester

Quote from: Dan on January 12, 2010, 07:58:27 PM

I know what you mean.  The small church I grew up in had a Pepsi machine that dispensed 10 oz. bottles, & Mountain Dew was one of the choices.  Not being a Pepsi drinker(I made my mind up on this very early in life), I generally tried to get the Mountain Dew before it ran out after children's choir practice.  I've drunk from many a bottle with that hillbilly on the front.  That stuff sure had a bite--I remember snorting some back through my nose after getting the giggles while trying to drink! :o :o  I thought I'd never be the same.

As for prices, I remember the price I paid for most of my "D" Coke bottles--$1.00.  That was almost thirty years ago, now.
Stephen

Jim Stettler

I remember Mountain Dew up the nose. It was perrty much a given , unless you were careful, kids weren't.  I think it was over-carbonated on purpose.
It probably had the highest sugar and caffeine content at that point.    It was enough to get a kid high.
Those were simple times.
Yaa-Hoo,
Jim
You live, You learn,

benhutcherson

I know of a few people around here who make their own variety of "mountain dew" at home.

I've never tried any of it(nor do I have the desire to), but I understand it's pretty potent stuff.

Bill

Anybody remember

"Pepsi-Cola hits the spot
Twelve full ounces, that's a lot
Pepsi is the drink for you
Twice as much for a nickel, too!"

Or am I dating myself more than I should?

Bill

Dennis Markham

I don't remember that Pepsi jingle, Bill.

Here's a couple from You-tube, since we're on the topic.

Dr Pepper (Some Nice Pull-top cans here):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1gZkf_-UyI&feature=related

Mountain Dew:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokH3a63bEk&feature=related

Pepsi Cola:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4vUwl7YGes&feature=related

Coke (Lots of Coke Ads on You-tube):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Azrgloa5wY

jsowers

Does anyone remember seeing a Coke machine that was horizontal instead of vertical? My dad's workplace had one for many years when I was a kid. This was in the 60s but I think the machine was from the 50s or maybe late 40s.

You put your money in the slot, turned a crank, a circular piece at the top moved until it stopped. Then you opened the small lid inside that circle and pulled out your 6 oz. Coke.

It had VERY cold water circulating inside and a bin on the right for larger size drinks like my favorite, Bubble Up. Anyone remember that? Sort of like Sprite or 7Up but with a little more kick. Here's a picture of a machine like it, a Vendo V-59.

http://soda-machines.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=569&Itemid=14

I also remember the cork liners inside the bottle caps and fishing through all those sticky caps for prizes when they had a game.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Jonathan, I do not recall every seeing one of those.   That is a very nice site.  I book-marked that...have to go back there.  I too remember the cork linings.  Would you believe I still have a few of those in one of my treasure boxes?  At one time Coke was putting the helmet logo of all the NFL teams under the corks.  One had to be careful not to scratch away the printed helmet under the cork when prying it out of there.  I MIGHT have a bunch of those in my vault too!

I remember another type of machine from the mid to late 1960's.  The cooler wasn't very large, maybe 4 feet wide and a couple feet deep.  It also sat horizontal.  When the top was lifted there were rails going from left to right spaced just far enough apart for a bottle lip to slide on them.  So the top was visible but the bottle was below the rails.  The bottle was slid to the left where it was placed in a "port".  Once a dime was inserted the locking mechanism released and the bottle could be lifted straight up.  Worked pretty slick.

In about 1964 when living in Alabama (age 9) the downtown movie theater, The Lyric Theater let kids in on Saturdays for 6 R.C. Cola bottle caps.  We used to bug the guy at the local grocery store to open up the machine and give us the caps that fell into the can when people bought a drink.  He'd get a small brown paper bag and dump all those sticky caps inside.  My buddies and I would go outside the store and divide them up.  We'd spend all day at the movie watching it over and over.  It ran non-stop, not like today.  About 5:00PM we'd put a dime in the pay phone and then call the operator.  When she answered we got our dime back.  "This phone ate my dime" we would say and she would place our call home so that someone's mother or father would pick us up.  That was a cheap date!

Dan

Dennis, the horizontal machine you are describing is known to machine collectors as a "slider" machine. Here's a beat up ole pepsi..

I think the one Jonathan is referring to is a Vendo 39 (held 39 6 and 1/2 ounce cokes). My barber had one. His was broke, so you handed him your quarter, stuck your hand in the door and MANUALLY pushed the drum to expose a cold pop. Always good and always with a little ice on it.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, that is similar to what I was talking about but the one I remember was just a bit different.  I'll look around that vending machine site and see if I can find it.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on January 13, 2010, 05:58:08 PM
Dennis, the horizontal machine you are describing is known to machine collectors as a "slider" machine. Here's a beat up ole pepsi..

I remember using 1 slider at a local surplus store. They had cheap pop for years, it was re-fridgerated. I have only 1 experience with an ice water slider. It was at a back-road gas station. I was young . Probably 1970'ish.  These were both large horizontal ,machines.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,