News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another year of planting

Started by Kenny C, March 16, 2010, 07:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I hate it but we do it every year. We plant almost an acre of sweet corn and a half an acre of vegtables like tomatoes, lettuice, broccili, cabbage,squash,okra,cuecumbers,peas,beans,and potatoes. It is fun the first couple of weeks but gee it takes all of your summer away.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Kenny,
           Don't complain with your mouth full......... anyway you need a job so you can buy more phones!!!!! don't work too hard!!!!               stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenny C

i dont get paid for the garden or nopthing except cleaning dad says you live here to lol
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Netdewt

You will probably live longer than most of us. I get all my veggies from who knows where (China?).

jsowers

Kenny, you'll look back on this and remember the fun part. I know I do. My grandparents farmed and both of them lived to a ripe old age. I helped during summer vacation. They raised the same things as your dad and I well remember picking and shelling peas and butterbeans and shucking corn. Fresh home-grown vegetables taste so much better than anything canned or even what they call fresh in the store. Especially tomatoes.

My grandparents have been gone now for 20 years, but what I wouldn't give for another one of Granny Sowers' apple pies, made with Early Transparent apples. They were small, greenish June apples and very tart, but she added plenty of sugar. Oh man! Sometimes she would make what she called "snit pies" with those apples. The name is German, but it was more like a homemade apple turnover that melted in your mouth.
Jonathan

bwanna

kenny, don't you just hate it when adults tell you these are the best days of your life ;) ..but you better believe us....they are :D
donna

Netdewt

Quote from: bwanna on March 17, 2010, 10:05:35 AM
kenny, don't you just hate it when adults tell you these are the best days of your life ;) ..but you better believe us....they are :D

I can't totally agree with that. I love my life now and didn't like middle/high school much. It's easy to say that yesterday was better. Live for today and enjoy life now.

Dennis Markham

Jonathan, you're making me hungry!

I agree with what both Donna and Netdewt say.  Everyone seems to look back on their early years as being the good ole days, and we also have no guarantees for tomorrow.  So that leaves enjoying today.

AET

At 19, I already realize that those were really the good ol' days, and that I'm still in the good ol days now, but that as I have more and more responsibility, it's slowly fading away.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Remember what Carly Simon said..........These ARE the good ole days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8

Kenny C

It doesn't seem like the good ole days when you are hoing okra in 90 degree weather ;)  ;) :D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Netdewt

You could be staring at a computer screen in a dark room for 9 hours a day, in 90 degree weather, like I do.

Responsibility isn't such a bad thing.

foots

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on March 17, 2010, 03:12:36 PM
It doesn't seem like the good ole days when you are hoing okra in 90 degree weather ;)  ;) :D

When you're sitting down eating a big bowl of okra gumbo you'll know that little bit of work was well worth it.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

Not too many okra eaters in these parts.  I'm not sure I would know it if I saw it. I have family in the south and they talk about it from time to time.  I think the Clampett's used to eat it with 'possum. :)

Kenny C

we trap possum some times when animals are getting into our chicken house and they are good but greasy. Raccoon is alot better it almost tastes like roast beef if it is boiled with sasafras and baked with potatoes and carrots. I am getting hungry. ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010