News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

what was the lowest you remember gas????

Started by Kenny C, March 07, 2010, 02:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

23.9, but I was a big shot and went for the 27.9 for premium. My father would always (expletive deleted), as he remembered gas at 8 gallons for a $1. A '62 Thunderbird with a 400, its amazing I'm alive, that car was fast....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

last year i remember gas being 1.39 in jackson tennessee
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Netdewt

Quote from: Craig T on March 07, 2010, 06:15:28 PM
.99 cents a gallon in 1999. Not that long ago. Just look at what a difference 10 years can make.

Ditto. I maybe remember 89 cents a little earlier, but it was 99 cents when I was 16 and started driving.

McHeath

I recall when mom would fill up in the 70's it might be in the 59 cent a gallon range, but then it leaped up to $1.39 in 1981 and dad, a confirmed Ford man, bought a Toyota to get good mileage! 

Personally, the lowest I ever paid for gas was .79 cents a gallon in the late 80's.

Bought gas today and it was $3.29 a gallon. 

Dennis Markham

Regular unleaded was $2.64 today when I drove past WalMart.  They're almost as cheap as Costco.  (Detroit area).

benhutcherson

My memories only go back to the first part of the '90s, when I can remember prices of about $.85.

I can remember not too terribly long ago when gas hit $1.50 a gallon, and everyone was amazed at how expensive it was.

bwanna

i can't quite remember the exact prices (i got old-timers ::) ) but in 1974,  for a buck i could put a gallon of gas in my vw bug, plus buy a pack of smokes & a small pop at burger chef ;)  i made my spending money babysitting @ 50cents an hour/ 75cents if the parents got home after midnight.

by the next year i was making $1.50/hr plus tips, waitressing. boone's farm tickle pink was $1.25
donna

AET

I can't remember particularly, I just remember my dad swearing that nobody would pay more than a dollar a gallon for gas when it peaked over that price. 

There is also a tow shop that was also a gas station when Dad was a kid.  (Our cabin that my grandpa built in 58 is a mile down the road from my house now, but that's another story) but he used to ride his mini-bike from the cabin with a gallon can and a quarter and go fill it up.
- Tom

foots

I remember in the late sixties gas 24.9, cigarettes 25 cents a pack, and a line of bowling 35 cents. You could make a good date for 5 dollars, Ripple wine 39 cents a bottle. I had a girl friend that was walking out of the store with a couple bottles under her jacket, when she dropped one. The clerk never said a word.
D/P
[/quote]

Hey Dan/Panther, speaking of Ripple  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

jsowers

Freg G. Sanford, and the G stands for GAS.  :)  I loved that show. He would mix Champagne and Ripple and make Champipple.

My earliest memory of gas prices is when I was a college student, riding down the street in a bus (there was almost no student parking on campus). This was about 1980. Gas hit $1.00 for the first time and I wondered what the world was coming to.
Jonathan

Bill

I remember 19.9 cents per gallon in the periodic gas wars in my central Maine hometown. Must have been mid-to-late 1950s, since I was way too young to drive. My Dad loved it. Our little two-bit town had three gas stations, enough for a three-bit town at least, and they periodically tried to drive each other out with a gas war.

By the way, S&H green stamps apparently still have some value. Google it, or go to greenpoints.com.

Bill

McHeath

QuoteRegular unleaded was $2.64 today when I drove past WalMart.

Wow, it's practically free in your part of the US!  Oh to only pay two and halfish dollars a gallon. :)

There is definitely less traffic here than there was years ago before the price went really high, it's pretty much stayed high here the whole time.  Fewer cars and trucks, a lot fewer trucks actually and a lot more small cars, and a lot of bicycles being ridden around.  Must see a dozen bikes a day go by the house now, and that's with adults riding them and not kids, which you never used to see. 

AET

It's 2.72 a gallon here right now.  The most I paid was 4.07.  I had just bought my Station Wagon and on top of getting 15 mpg tops in town, it was almost out of gas and it cost me about 75 bucks to fill it.
- Tom

Kenny C

Oh i love station wagons. They are like the 20th century mini-van. More than a car less than a truck. I love that. what model is it.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AET

It's a 1987 Chevy Caprice Estate

I'm actually selling it right now for 800.
- Tom